Overview - What The Role Entails
The senior sous chef is fully responsible for the management of the kitchen under the head chef and assumes complete responsibility for the kitchen in his/her absence. The main purpose of the senior sous chef is to ensure that the kitchen is supervised and that quality food is produced in a hygienic environment, in line with the required Company standards. Portion control must be exercised according to the number of guests dining and stock rotation in terms of the mise-en-place used in preparation of dishes.
- Market Related Salary - Negotiable
- Med Aid contribution
- Pension / Provident fund
- Off day cycle
- Annual leave
What You will Need
- A minimum of 5 years management experience in a medium sized kitchen
- Matric qualification
- Professional cookery qualification
- Assertiveness, patience and good organizational skills
- Understanding of kitchen procedure and timing requirements and be able to plan accordingly
- Passion for cheffing and kitchen-related duties
- Good communication skills
- The ability to implement and maintain health and hygiene procedures
- Knowledge of safety procedures and the use of fire-fighting equipment
- First-Aid training
- The ability to deal with constructive criticism and present healthy, innovative and modern dishes
What You will do
In broad terms the sous chef oversees the following key result areas:
- Supervision and training of the kitchen staff in line with the Company Standard.
- Preparation of food, in line with Company Standards of Excellence.
- Effective guest interaction to enhance guest satisfaction.
- Effective management of staff canteens.
- Administration of orders to minimize shortages and wastage and effective stock control.
- Ensuring that the cleanliness and hygiene of the kitchen is of the highest standard.
- Correct use and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Maintaining fridges and stores to the highest hygiene and stock rotation standards.
- Communication with kitchen and lodge front of house staff to ensure the smooth running of the department.
- Achieving service excellence though Teamwork.