Main purpose of the job:
- To provide individualized support for patients newly diagnosed with HIV and those already on ART, including follow up engagements to ensure retention of clients into HIV services
- To provide HIV rapid testing services, holistic HIV counselling and adherence support to clients receiving services within APACE supported areas
NB: Kindly note that preference will be given to candidates from Lejweleputswa District
- Welkom - Lejweleputswa (Free State) - Community Team
Key performance areas:
Linkage and Retention of HIV positive clients
- Enrol HIV positive patients in case management services and refer them for clinical assessment and ART
- Enrol all newly diagnosed patients and those recently returned to care into case management at the supported facility
- Provide individualised support for patients newly diagnosed with HIV and initiated on ART, including follow up contact through regular meetings, phone calls and SMS
- Remind the patients about their next visit appointments for first and subsequent follow up visits for the first 6 months (180 days) on treatment through SMS, phone call and/or home visits
- Refer all stable and eligible clients for decanting (CCMDD) enrolment
- Inter-referral of patients for case management between facility and community case manager
- Provide information to patients on other health services available in the clinic or community and provide health education and counselling on HIV-related issues including adherence, disclosure, U=U, SRH services, PMTCT, index case testing and PrEP, B-OK, among others
- Telephonic tracing of all clients who missed appointments within 24 to 72 hours and share the report with the Data Capturer for updating
- Work with data Capturer to compile lists for both telephonic and physical tracing - missed appointments, unconfirmed lost to follow up, missed/ unsuppressed VL, TB, etc.
- Conduct physical tracing and home ART deliveries for untraceable and/or eligible patients
- Trace all clients who were issued with HIVSS kits within 48 hours and give feedback to the M&E Team
- Refer all HIV positive clients with unsuppressed VL, complex adherence issues and psychosocial challenges to relevant teams and/or services whilst maintaining patient confidentiality
Provide client Counselling and support
- Provide adherence and disclosure counselling, ensuring that confidentiality is maintained
- Provide HIV information to clients that include but is not limited to risk reduction, ARVs, adherence, Nutrition, hygiene, PMTCT, infant feeding, PrEP, and retention care
- Conduct in-depth one on one and Enhanced adherence counselling sessions and as required
- Provide group counselling/support sessions (both formal and informal) in alignment with guidelines as required
- Refer HIV negative patients to preventive services (including PrEP and VMMC)
Provide HIV Testing Services (HTS, Index Testing & HIVSS)
- Perform HIV rapid tests in facilities or within the community based on allocation
- Conduct index testing services for new and recently diagnosed HIV positive patients, back to care patients and patients with unsuppressed VL, among others
- Ensure that all quality control and quality assurance SOPs are followed
- Ensure documentation of results in all appropriate registers and patient records
- Screen for TB, STIs, contraceptive needs and GBV/IPV using approved tools and guidelines and refer, as necessary
- Distribute HIVSS to eligible clients
Data reporting and administration
- Compile reports of activities and patient outcomes
- Keep a record of daily activities and report these into the mandated database/reporting structures
- Share all daily, weekly, and monthly reports and records timeously as communicated
- Accurately document and record all screening, counselling, and referral testing conducted in provided tools and registers
- Review, evaluate and report on patient progress during case management for graduation or referral purposes
Effective self-management and performance ownership
- Take ownership and accountability for tasks and demonstrates effective self-management
- Follow through to maintain quality and productivity standards of own work
- Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback
- Take ownership of driving your own career development by participating in ongoing training and development activities
Required minimum education and training:
- Grade 12
- Accredited certificate/training in performing finger pricks & HIV tests
- Accredited certificate in basic HIV counselling or equivalent qualification
- Long-term HIV treatment success, and comfortable with disclosing own HIV status
- Valid Driver’s License
Required minimum work experience:
- 6 months’ experience in HIV Testing Services (HTS)
- Relevant experience in the health field, or related post
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities:
- Experience with Adherence Counselling and SRH counselling would be advantageous
- Ability to write reports and to use Microsoft Office packages
- Fluency in more than one African language (especially isiZulu & Sesotho)
- Experience working for PEPFAR funded projects or in the NGO environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work towards deadlines
- Be a team player
- Good interpersonal, communication and time management skills
- Working knowledge of patient movement in a facility, and linkage and referral systems within a health system
Demands of the job:
- Confidentiality, tact, and discretion should be always maintained
- Ability to work with patients who are HIV positive
- Able to work under pressure
- May be required to work at sites that are under-resourced
- Confidentiality, and tact with discretion should always be maintained
Communications and relationships:
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers and stakeholders
- Build relationships with the community tracing team and other organizations that we support, including the Department of Health and Ward based outreach teams (WBOTS)
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV.
- Please Apply Online and complete your registration on Ditto Hire (our application tracking system) to enable and protect you as a candidate to accept the new POPIA terms and conditions. This will then create your permanent profile with which you can apply for all jobs as advertised by AJ PERSONNEL. However, you may remove your profile from AJ PERSONNEL when you are no longer in the job market.
- AJ Personnel is fully POPIA Compliant.
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications: 24 May 2022.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- Our Client, WHC - RHI, maintains mandatory Covid-19 requirements, and as such only Covid-19 vaccinated incumbents will be considered for positions.
- WHC, in accordance with its Employment Equity goals and plan, will give preference to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
- AJ Personnel is only responsible for advertising the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
- AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.