A Laboratory Manager vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium's Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics Research Unit (Wits VIDA) in Soweto, Johannesburg - Gauteng.
The Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit of the University of the Witwatersrand, formerly RMPRU (Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit) has for over 20 years conducted numerous studies to assess the burden of and to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD).
Current studies and projects include infant rotavirus and BCG trials, immunizing pregnant women to protect their infants against disease (including influenza, Group B streptococcus, and respiratory syncytial virus), and the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) initiatives.
In 2020, VIDA commenced two international trials on COVID-19 vaccines amongst several other COVID-19 studies. World Health Organization position papers directly refer to the work conducted by RMPRU and have used such data generated to inform policy and recommendations for vaccine implementation globally and here in South Africa.
By combining clinical, microbiological, and epidemiological expertise in an African setting, the unit has made significant contributions in vaccine development against the leading respiratory and enteric pathogens contributing to under-5 childhood morbidity and mortality in Africa and other low and middle-income countries.
Main purpose of the job
- To plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate the operations of Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit laboratory, to ensure smooth running and compliance
- Wits Vaccines & Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit, Wits Learning Centre Building (Nurses Residence), Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital
Key performance areas
- Plan the activities of the team and delegate tasks to ensure performance objectives are achieved
- Monitor equipment calibration and maintenance to ensure accurate and reliable results
- Identify skills gaps within a team in so far as technical outputs are required and perform training to bridge the skill’s gaps thereby ensuring competence
- Implement safe working conditions and procedures to ensure a safe working environment and compliance with all legislation
- Manage the review process of SOPs and implement appropriate changes in order to ensure the laboratory is constantly able to provide high-quality, cost-effective and correct results
- Evaluate and QC the results from trials thereby ensuring accuracy and identifying trends in order to address skills gaps
- Inspect, verify and check delivered goods and stock as per orders
- Oversee the management and storage of biohazardous waste and toxic materials
- Oversee the transport and shipping of clinical specimens
- Supervise and manage the duties of subordinates to ensure optimal staff utilization and maintenance of sound labor relations
- Perform and facilitate performance development and assessments
- Identify substandard performance by team members and take necessary corrective action
- Coach and train subordinates and team members to ensure the acquisition of knowledge and skills required by the organization
Required minimum education and training
- National Diploma in Biomedical Technology with bachelor’s in technology/BSc
Professional body registration
- HPCSA or applicable an advantage
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 5 years experience in appropriate/relevant laboratory
- Minimum 2 years management experience with demonstrable project management and administrative leadership skills
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- GCP (Good Clinical Practice)
- Advanced level of computer literacy
- Ability to work extended hours
- Understanding of research environment
- Ability to mentor and coach others
- Demonstrated understanding of leading and managing change, performance development, decision making, customer focus and service delivery
- Drive for continuous improvement, communication and teamwork
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 30 June 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.