A manufacturing and engineering company based in Alberton is seeking an Operations Manager, with experience within the FMCG, manufacturing or engineering sector and 10 years of experience to join their energetic and dynamic team.
This position is responsible for the overall production - managing the operations of the plant, ensuring output of products manufactured within the required technical and quality specifications as prescribed by the technical-, quality-, time- and cost requirements and standards.
In addition, the position is accountable for the appropriate resource allocation, planning and scheduling of equipment and people within the area, and overall plant efficiency in terms of time, budget and quality expectations and SOP’s.
Education and Qualification Requirements
Minimum education (essential)
Minimum education (desirable)
- Degree or Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering/Industrial Engineering/Mechanical Engineering
Minimum applicable experience (years)
- 10 years experience in a manufacturing environment of which 5 years must be in a managerial position
Skills and Knowledge (essential)
- Organisational skills
- Problem-solving skill
- Financial Acumen
- Attention to detail
- Understanding of company policies, procedures and processes
- High level of accuracy
- Negotiation skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Conflict management
- High initiative and ownership
- Team Player
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Proven track record with regard to deadlines
- Strong listener
Key performance areas
- Operational – Responsible for overall production, overseeing maintenance and stores. Coordination and support of the ISO Management System which includes final approval of related Quality documentation. Manage and oversee any new projects/installations in the production process. Manage and champion various safety programmes.
- Learning & Growth – execute skills and competency gap analyses and implement appropriate training and development intervention to close the gaps, improving production and maintenance technical levels. Responsible for transferring knowledge to staff required to operate in specific technical functions.
- Financial (Budget) – meeting all the budgetary and other financial objectives as required by the EXCO (Global). Accountable for production and maintenance operational and capital budgets.
- Development of all foundry operations expense and capital budgets, including workforce planning.
- Customer – achieving customer satisfaction objectives by providing professional and effective products and other advisory services.
- Meeting and achieving all applicable SHEQ SOP’s for the Production Area. Communication of all safety-related aspects that may have a negative impact on the business.
- Investigate and advise on process and product improvement and cost reduction initiatives for the business.
- Research improved processes and raw materials to achieve improved efficiencies and effectiveness, resulting in more cost-effective outputs
- Work on a team to procure all foundry equipment and develop maintenance agreements.
- Support development and design of all operations infrastructure
- Develop operations processes to support foundry planning, as production forecasting.
- Drive development and execution of Maintenance programs. (remains) (including master data and functional location development, reliability strategies, maintenance strategies, maintenance programs, spare parts, critical spares, and capital replacement programs – Group Leader: Maintenance Programme KPA
- Support development of training and competency development programs and equipment ramp-up profiles (GL Maintenance).
- Work collaboratively with maintenance, engineering, support services, and plant business areas to achieve all business plan objectives (GL Production).
- Staff your area with the resources planned per the master staffing plan and deploy them accordingly to manage the execution of programs (Lean Engineer).
- Monitor, performance manage, grow and develop all direct report staff, as well as ensure processes are adhered to ensure a capable and competent maintenance workforce (People Management KPA).
- Review progress and cost tracking reports and make corrections to execution as required.
- Investigate incidents, near misses, damage or delays at sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out (GL and SHEQ Leader).
Market-related (Includes medical aid, provident fund, a company car, petrol allowance)