The Head of Training and Development leverages analysis of ongoing programs in order to ensure that quality training is provided to business departments and that there is a constant improvement in training programs and initiatives. Required to work closely and in collaboration with various department heads and employees in developing unique and effective training solutions specific to the different departments.
e l This role demands the ability to work collaboratively as well as independently, while handling multiple projects.
Objectives and Responsibilities of the Head of Training and Development
- Lead the training and development department and providing direction to junior management and personnel.
- Imparts HR and training support systems to the junior department, enabling them to better execute their duties by sharpening their skills.
- Assesses and effects changes in the training team’s structure in order to meet the business’s growth goals.
- Overseeing all activities of their junior team members.
- Leading the department in the creation of training programs and materials.
- Provides direction and development of lasting leadership development programs within the business, and ensuring that programs meet deadlines and that they are completed within the allocated budgets.
- Directs training and development processes ensuring all new hires receive high-quality orientation and on-boarding experiences in order to maintain a high employee performance level.
- The Head of Training and Development also plays a mentorship role to key training personnel, assisting in the execution of their duties upon request, honing their skills, and getting them ready for the occupation of his position.
Required Qualifications of the Head of Training and Development
- Matric with Relevant Tertiary Education
- 5-7 years in working experience in a training and development capacity, preferably working as a Senior Manager Training and Development
- Proven and successful experience facilitating training campaigns through instructional design concepts, adult learning concepts, and technology
- Demonstrated successful experience leveraging technology in order to deliver training in new ways.
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills
- Ms Office
- Analytical Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Leadership/People Skills
- Management, development and talent training
- Designing and supplying a variety of training styles
- Building relationships with external suppliers
- Managing budgets
- Managing people
- Confident in both written and spoken communication with the ability to present to large audiences
- Organizational skills