Our Client in Johannesburg has a permanent role available for a LOGISTICS MANAGER. This role will report into the Plant Manager. The Logistics Manager will have 5 people reporting into him/her.
RESPONSIBILTIES: Planning and managing logistics, warehouse, transportation, and customer services. Directing, optimizing, and coordinating full order cycle. Move materials, goods, and products (including importing and exporting) to ensure supply demand is achieved. Liaising and negotiating with suppliers, manufacturers, clients, and contractors. Organizing, managing, and monitoring storage and distribution of goods received and dispatched.
- The goal is to manage the entire order cycle to enhance business development and ensure sustainability and customer satisfaction
- Strategically plan and manage logistics, warehouse, stores, transportation, and customer services
- Direct, optimize and coordinate full order cycle through close liaison with procurement department
- Liaise and negotiate with suppliers, manufacturers, freight companies and customers
- Keep track of quality, quantity, stock levels, returns, delivery times, transport costs and efficiency
- Arrange stores, warehouse, catalog goods, plan routes and process shipments
- Ensure correct picking of spares, consumables and customer orders and ensure correct process flow is followed
- Resolve any arising problems or complaints
- Supervise, coach and train stores and warehouse workforce
- Meet cost, productivity, accuracy, and timeliness targets
- Maintain metrics and analyze data to assess performance and implement improvements
- Comply with laws, regulations, and ISO requirements
- Typically handle the entire delivery process of products by scheduling both inbound and outbound shipments and constantly monitoring them to make sure each product/goods arrives on time.
- Select carriers and negotiate contracts and rates.
- Plan and monitor inbound and outgoing deliveries.
- Supervise logistics, stores, warehouse, transportation, and customer services.
- Organize stores, warehouse, label goods, plot routes, and process shipments.
- Respond to any issues or complaints.
- Research ideal shipping techniques, routing, and carriers
- Review impact of logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes, product volumes or carriers and report results to others
- Work with other departments to incorporate logistics with company procedures and operations.
- Evaluate budgets and expenditures.
- Update and evaluate metrics to assess performance and implement enhancements.
- Ensure all operations adhere to laws, guidelines, and ISO requirements.
- Create and implement best practice logistics, store and warehousing principles, policies, and processes across the organisation to improve operational and financial performance
- Supports corporate and plant goals, policies, and procedures
- Maintains information systems accurately and timeously
- Support continuous improvement initiatives and identify inefficiencies and cost optimisation opportunities
- Ensure IT systems (SAP) in place are effective, maintained, and accurate
- Ensure metrics, reports, and process documentation is available
- Manage, coach, and develop a high performing team that meets agreed objectives and delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements
- Set departmental objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports
- Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required
- Ensure that all functions under supervision operate in accordance with health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors
- Education Level: Relevant Diploma/Degree in Logistics and Transport
- Language Requirements: English
- Professional Membership: Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport would be advantageous
- Proven working experience as a Logistics Manager
- Record of successful warehousing, distribution, and logistics management
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff
- Proficient in standard logistics software
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects
- Strong IT systems knowledge and skills including knowledge and understanding of specialist systems such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Bill of Material (BOM) and customer data systems
- Years of experience: 8-10 years of experience in Logistics Management
- 5 years supervisory experience
- In-depth knowledge of first tier automotive industry.
- Solid understanding of logistics and inventory management software.
- Outstanding analytical, problem solving and organizational abilities.
Skills / Competencies:
- Achieving results
- Initiative & Energy
- Living the Client Values
- Planning & Organizing
- Coaching & Development Others
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Effective Decision-making
- Business Acumen
- Change and Innovation
- Customer Focus
- Management Maturity
· Oral and written communication skills in English language
· Leadership skills with the ability to lead remote and cross-functional teams
· Organizational agility
· Negotiation skills
· Analytical skills
· Presentation skills
· Project management skills
· Detail orientated
· Negotiation skills
· Problem solving
· Dispute resolution
- Travel Frequency: As required
- The position is situated in an office environment with climate-controlled environment. Exposure to plant environment (operating machinery, temperature, noise, odours, dust, drafts, and chemicals used in the manufacture of the product) during daily activities and interactions as required in effectively communicating, training and coaching team members.
- Office environment with appropriate office equipment, electronic systems (hardware & software) to effectively accomplish required work assignments and management of function.
- Sitting, standing, lifting (generally under 20 kg), bending in performance of office related duties.