Our client, South Africa’s leading fixed-income asset manager, for more than 20 years, has an opportunity for a Senior Analyst/Portfolio Manager.
Our client is committed to transformation, and preference will be given to suitably qualified previously disadvantaged South African candidates. The position is based in Cape Town.
As part of a team, the successful incumbent will be responsible for setting the interest rate view and managing a wide range of local interest rate bearing funds, and potentially a global emerging market bond fund. In addition, the successful incumbent will be responsible for the analysis, decision-making, process creation and presentation of relevant information, in order to make recommendations for the market positioning of funds in the domestic and global-emerging-market interest rate markets.
- The role will focus on the innovation, development and maintenance of investment methods, practices, tools and models, to support the interest rate investment process, as well as the assessment and proposal of investment opportunities. This includes:
- Consistently reviewing and refining the investment process, while remaining aligned to the firm’s overall investment philosophy;
- Performing fundamental macro-economic, socio-economic, policy, governance and quantitative market-data research, with emphasis on the local market and across emerging sovereign bond markets;
- Making recommendations on investment opportunities to the relevant team members in the Interest Rate team for portfolio construction;
- Regular, timeous and effective communication of market views, events and recommendations with key internal stakeholders;
- Regular and effective communication of market views and performance to key internal and external stakeholders;
- Developing derivative strategies to manage or hedge risks; and
- Developing and maintaining risk measures and investment decision-making tools.
Technical/professional knowledge and skills:
- Minimum of eight years of relevant working experience, specifically with some interest rate bearing market analysis and possibly the management of bonds funds;
- Strong commercial focus with a passion for markets and investments;
- Strong knowledge of macro-economics, interest rate markets and debt fund management, and the ability to apply your skills creatively to the universe of investment opportunities;
- Experience in creating investment processes would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of derivatives;
- Working experience as a sovereign analyst at an international rating agency would be an advantage;
- Proven leadership and management ability preferred;
- Proficiency in a variety of computer software applications, including MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Proficiency in programming (R/Python) would be advantageous;
- Networking skills; and
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently.
Technical / professional qualifications
- Strong academic credentials – B Bus Sc or similar is required; and
- CA(SA) and/or CFA preferred.