Desert Diamond Fishing (Pty) Ltd is looking for a qualified and skilled Chief Engineer to join the sea going crew. This position is based on a midwater trawler, the Desert Diamond.
- Maintain the main propelling machinery and boilers of the ship including shaft and propeller
- Maintain the electrical power generating sets, switch and distribution boards
- Maintain all auxiliary machinery, lifts and motors in the main machinery compartment
- Maintain the main workshop power units and shaftings including machine tools
- Maintain all evaporating and distilling machinery
- Maintain all pumps and pipes, cocks and valves in connection therein
- Maintain the hydraulic piping in the engine, ring-mains and tanks
- Maintain the electric generating machinery, converters
- Maintain the air compressing machinery and air ring mains
- Maintain the steering engines
- Maintain the capstan engines, windlass, deck winches, life boat hoists, spindles and automatic and safety arrangement
- Actively participate in the Skills Transfer program for purposes of South Africanisation
- Manage and lead the vessel engineers
- Report to Master daily on the amount of available fuel, lubricants and boiler water
- A Class 2 Marine Engineer certificate unlimited/Chief Engineer Fishing certificate
- Extensive seagoing experience as a Chief Engineer on a vessel >4000 gross ton
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience on a large factory freezer trawler
- Strong understanding of relevant Marine Legislation, in particular STCW 95, SOLAS, ISM code, MARPOL and ISPS regulations.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Computer Literacy
In support of the company’s Employment Equity Plan, applicants from designated groups will be given preference for this position.
Interested parties meeting the above criteria are requested to apply with a brief CV to Oceana Careers, subsequent to a discussion with their Line Manager.
Closing date for applications: 7 July 2021
If you are not contacted within two weeks of closing date, please consider your application unsuccessfu