Role & Responsibilities
- Create and assist with complex project quotations.
- Plan and lead medium to large projects.
- Perform design reviews.
- Manage project risks.
- Coach and mentor Junior Engineers.
- Conduct complex and high-risk designs.
- Ensure due diligence and go the extra mile.
- Look at overall department efficiency, digitization, workflow streamlining and planning for the future.
- Conceptualize and design mechanical purpose-built machinery, industrial equipment, robotic welding and assembly cells, body in white jigs, conveyance systems and lifting equipment.
- Analyse mechanical functionality of systems, including Finite Element Analysis.
- Specification of electro-mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic control systems.
- Develop manufacturing drawings in accordance with applicable company standards using Solidworks
- Interface with Customers, Vendors, Production Managers and Procurement to find optimal solutions.
- Read and interpret, technical drawings and schematics.
- Confer with Automation engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions and provide technical information.
- Work to Company CAD and PDM standards.
- Detailed Designs must be done to applicable ISO, SABS and Customer Standards.
- Specify system components or direct modifications of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications
Credentials & Experience
4yr Mechanical Engineering Degree
Solidworks experience is required
5+ years’ experience in mechanical design field, within the Automation industry