Our client in the mining industry is looking for a Junior Back Office Engineer to join their dynamic team. The role has responsibility for supporting Infrastructure Applications, Servers, and Virtual Environments that enables business services across IT at TFM. This role will also be responsible for the implementation and management of new servers (Virtual and Physical) for TFM, which includes, Mine, Lubumbashi, Kinshasa, and Johannesburg. Support and Maintenance of multiple Microsoft-based applications.
Knowledge, Skills Minimum Experience, and Education
- A relevant degree or diploma in Information Technology or related qualification
- Relevant Knowledge of Cloud-based services (Azure, Office 365, Mimecast, etc.)
- 3 Years+ of hands-on Virtualization experience in a business-focused environment
- 3 Years+ of hands-on experience managing / Installing MS SQL Services
- 5 Years+ experience working directly with large corporate customers
- 5 Years+ experience in providing documented infrastructure designs aligned to business requirements
- Proven understanding of monitoring, diagnostic, and analytics tools
- Knowledge and experience of physical server infrastructure
- Governance Framework Certified (ITIL, COBIT, or equivalent)
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Must be results-oriented and customer-focused
- Self-starter with the ability to work on their own with the ability to provide leadership and guidance when needed.
- Ability to prioritize and respond dynamically to a changing environment
- 3 Years+ of Experience in a mining and processing environment
- Relevant Microsoft SQL certifications
- A Relevant VMWare Certification VCAP or VCDX
- Relevant additional network certifications
- Experience working with Linux / Unix
- Describe the fundamental duties and functions of the job
- Always adhere to safety requirements as set out by the Safety department and contribute to safe work culture.
- This role will be responsible for the following areas across all sites:
a. SQL Server management
b. Active Directory services (including DCs, Azure, etc.)
c. Microsoft Exchange / O365 Management
d. File and Print Services
e. Solarwinds Monitoring
g. System Centre: SCCM / SCOM / Orchestrator
h. Backup services / DR
i. Enterprise Vault services
j. Antivirus management across the entire TFM
k. Microsoft Server management
l. General user/desktop support when needed
- Ability to establish work priorities and ensure work is performed in a safe, timely manner
- Engagement with suppliers regarding outages and Incident reporting
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise – from the simple to the complex
- Perform scheduled maintenance and upgrades on Virtual Environments and standalone servers
- Provide support for Server infrastructure on an on-call rotation
- Work with multiple teams to identify bottlenecks and other Server configuration issues
- Document Server infrastructures, such as Server Room Layouts, Virtual Hosting Designs, backup plans, DR configurations, and other systems deemed to be critical
- Demonstrated experience with network architectures and security vulnerabilities associated with Servers
- Maintain and organize reporting information and documentation for Management review
- Ensuring Servers and VM environments are protected at all times via patch updates, Server Room / Disaster Recovery site management
- Ensuring business-related services are maintained adequately including Directory and messaging services as well as critical business systems such as SAP, mining systems, and plant systems.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems availability according to the MIS targets.
- Maintain systems security, systems backup, and systems redundancy strategies according to MIS policies and ensure that procedure is created and improved.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- Travel International travel to the DRC will be required
- Responsibilities span over 4 sites, 3 within the DRC and 1 in South Africa
- You will be required to travel between these operations with certain travel requiring more than 6 weeks away from home.
- Work is mostly performed in an office environment, but it can also be performed in a mine or manufacturing plant, or outdoor setting.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, talk, hear and see.
- Ability 24-hour on-call duty as scheduled to support Infrastructure, Mine and Plant Operations
- Occasionally you may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 20 kg) during the course of the workday.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including heart hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and other protective equipment as required.
- Our Operation promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and ongoing random drug testing