About the job:
- My client has a vacancy for a Manager: Operational SHE Implementation in the Safety, Health,
- Environment and quality (SHEQ) Function. The incumbent will lead, develop and maintain the SHE operational management plans and processes in achieving organisational SHE mandate and strategic objectives.
- To provide leadership and operational support to all Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios in the implementation of the SHE operational management plans and processes and compliance and certification of international standards, applicable statutory requirements and SHE Management Systems.
- Manage a team of SHE Implementation Specialists.
- Active member of the company SHEQ leadership team with joint responsibility for developing
- and implementing the SHE Strategic and Operational plans.
- Develop a culture that promotes positive support for implementation of a SHE Policy and
- related procedures.
- Provide regular reporting to the Group Manager: SHEQ.
General Central/Divisional SHE management:
- Monitor Division/Portfolios and Support Functions’ compliance to all SHE legal requirements and take appropriate corrective action where deviations are observed.
- Provide input into risk management planning, including organisation’s emergency plan, as per national regulations and organisational standards.
- In consultation with Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios, provide input into SHE policies and procedures for existing activities and new R&D processes e.g. new emerging research areas.
- Support the development of quality plans addressing productivity improvement as part of quality improvement program in support of the R&D strategy.
- Plan for the management of SHE within the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios, including the setting of realistic and achievable short and long-term goals, deciding priorities, and establishment of adequate systems and performance standards.
- Drive the implementation of systematic continual improvement processes based on a process measurement system (including cost of poor quality where appropriate).
- Generate period and interim reports for submission both internally and externally. These reports shall comply with the required formats as requested by the respective initiator of such report.
- Oversee and support effective risk assessment processes within Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios and ensure root cause analysis and responding treatment protocols are established and implemented.
- Drive effective communication of quality principles and philosophies and how these can be practically implemented in R&D to all Impact Areas.
- Provide input into the development of organisation-wide SHE documentation, reports and records and co-ordinate Group SHE audits, ensuring the Company and relevant divisions conform to policy and procedures.
- Evaluate and certify all SHE incident investigations.
- Control SHE incident recording system to ensure all matters are recorded and investigated by the appropriate authority, and that corrective action is implemented to prevent recurrences.
- Facilitate SHE inspections that shall actively examine all Division, Clusters and Support
- Portfolios for their adherence to SHE standards and procedures.
- Actively drive the development of new projects, providing the baseline for SHE standards and procedures that must be incorporated into the new project, product or process facility.
- This shall include major capital projects undertaken by the organisation.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders such as consultants, legal advisors, contractors, suppliers, local SHE committees, municipalities, medical professionals and conservationists to research, transfer information, and provide assistance in problem solving situations.
- Communicate with local residence concerning our SHE policy and address related complaints that may be received.
- Assist the organisation in its quest to achieve zero harm by establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy and environmentally sustainable working environment in the Divisions,
- Clusters and Support Portfolios through embedding quality in all we do.
- Ensure in the development and implementation of operational excellence principles and practices throughout all business and operational processes within the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios.
- Ensure that SHE requirements, systems and processes are implemented and complied with in the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios
- To report to the Group SHEQ function on effectiveness of systems and processes within the respective divisions/portfolios.
- Ensure that the Division/Portfolios and Support Functions are compliant with the applicable SHE legal and other requirements. This includes development /implementation and monitoring of systems and processes that assist in compliance and monitoring (e.g. risk assessment registers, SOPs).
- Develop and maintain the Division, Clusters and Support Portfolios SHE Management Programmes (SHEMP) in support of the organisational SHE objectives and targets.
- Liaise with Human Capital for initiating and coordinating the annual SHE training plan and updating information for personal and audit requirements.
- Ensure all forms of SHE risk assessments are conducted e.g. general, manual handling, and also act as an interface with the Group SHE function where a specialist response is required in relation to risk assessments performed by others within the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios.
- Facilitates occupational health and safety related surveys, e.g., noise, lighting; exposure to chemical substances, and makes associated recommendations in consultation with the Group SHE function.
- Provide responsive SHE service delivery aligned with Division, Clusters and Support Portfolios requirements/needs.
- Continuously facilitate engagement with key internal stakeholders on SHE requirements and performance.
SHE performance evaluation:
- Take full accountability for all Division, Clusters and Support Portfolios preparations for annual internal and external SHE audits in order to assist the organisation in maintaining certification against SHEQ Standards i.e. ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001
- Assist in retaining all current SHE accreditations and work towards the attainment of new quality accreditations, e.g. ISO 17025.
- Advise the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios on effectiveness of SHE systems and processes in ensuring compliance, outline gaps if/where they exist and propose improvement plans for closure.
- Produce and coordinate yearly Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios SHE action plans and prepare and submit monthly SHE performance reports to Divisional and Portfolio Leadership.
- Promote continual improvement in order to enhance SHE performance in the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios.
- Facilitate and ensure SHE Management Reviews (MR) are planned and conducted within the Divisions, Clusters and Support Portfolios.
- Develop and manage SHE Department budget.
- Ensure cost effective service delivery.
- Ensure compliance with financial legislative requirements.
Human Resources management:
- Manage, mentor, coach and play an advisory role for staff growth and development.
- Conduct performance management contracting and reviews for all staff at the recommended periods, for the purpose of managing & improving both individuals’ performance and service delivery
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A three year Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in any of the following:
Safety, Health and Environment;
- Certificates on latest ISO 14001 environmental management system and ISO 45001 occupational health and safety management system
- A postgraduate diploma in business management and a SAATCA or any other recognised auditor registration will be highly advantageous
- Drivers’ license
- A minimum of five years’ relevant managerial experience in the implementation of SHE management systems, preferably in a research environment, with a solid track record in the following:
- Experience in SHE management systems as applied to research and technology organisations,
- Risk assessment and incident investigation,
- Monitoring and management of laboratory systems based on ISO 17025 and the basic GLP principles
- Behavioural based safety programmes
- Process safety management
- Operational planning & implementation
- Resource planning & optimisation.
Knowledge of and competence in the provision of Safety, Health and Environment services including:
- Knowledge of all relevant ISO requirements and SHE legislations,
- Knowledge and competence in the implementation of behavioural based safety and process safety programmes
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with other departments
- Ability to manage through others
- Strong teamwork
- Project Management Skills
- Budgeting and Financial Skills
- Computer literacy
- Administrative Skills
- Analytical Skills