This position will report directly to Owner (General Manager) of the organization.
It is a specific requirement of the Front of House manager that they are suitably experienced, qualified and able to promote and maintain the highest quality food standards in accordance to Franchise standards and customer service levels at all times within the constraints of set budgets and food costs.
In addition the Restaurant manager shall oversee, direct, and coordinate the planning, organizing, training, and leadership of restaurant staff as necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness and sanitation
The Restaurant manager therefore warrant’s that they are suitability qualified for ensuring that all aspects of restaurant operates profitably and efficiently, whilst maintaining accurate records of assets, daily stock control documents, staff records, daily sales, stock usage, day-end administrative procedures, and suppliers transactions records at all times.
Restaurant manager shall manage and monitor all staff under their control by ensuring that assigned duties and responsibilities are performed daily in accordance to required standards.
It is a further responsibility of the restaurant manager to promote and maintain the ethos and reputation of the restaurant whilst promoting a ‘Customer is King” policy as a standard culture amongst all staff within our restaurant at all times.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Key duties and responsibilities to be performed by a restaurant manager shall include, but not limited, to the following.
• The restaurant manager is responsible for maintaining and improving the restaurant’s business performance, quality standards and customer goodwill.
• Develop and execute plans with the aim of improving restaurants sales through constantly promoting the business in the area through varied marketing activities and monitor results monthly.
• Monitor FOH/BOH stock daily by utilizing the following stock control procedure:- Opening stock qty on the day, Minus PLU sales, Plus stock purchased and obtain a valid Closing stock qty for Day. ENSURE ALL IN BALANCE (Critical). Once completed, perform daily analysis of these REPORTS of the restaurant and bar stock movement trends, and report any shortages or overages to Owner daily. Take disciplinary action where necessary for stock shortages. [This is a critical duty]. File such documentation in a FILE intended for OWNER copy.
• Ensure that, all, day end stock takes are carried in accordance to Dros/known industry standards and accurately reconciled daily to sales and purchases, with specific focus on week-end and month-end stock take procedures. Report all results and variances to owner or as agreed upon. Follow up on all daily variances and give full account and reasons for shortfall. [This is a critical duty]
• Perform a daily analysis of stock order requirements personally, based on daily sales trends and ensure sufficient minimal stock levels are maintained at all times, in accordance with daily par-levels controls. [This is a critical duty]
• Personally plan and coordinate the purchase of all restaurant stock requirements with approved suppliers in accordance to par levels established.
• Plan for and execute daily staff development through ongoing training and vibe meetings and roll playing. Maintain records of all daily training given, record activity and outcome on a weekly basis to owner. [This is a critical funtion]
• Assume total responsibility for maintaining of, FOH in a pristine and hygienic state always, monitoring and improving food costs, stock holding at required levels. At all times report such levels in a report to owner in a FILE intended for OWNER copy.
• Maintain all health, hygiene as well as safety standard of the restaurant with specific focus to kitchen area, toilets, restaurant area inclusive of deck and kids play area.
• Promote wine, food selection and up-sell to customers through waiters and staff training. Record results
• Visits customers table at the start of meal and at end of meal to ensure service satisfaction. Build customer relationships with all guests so that they become part of our brand. [This is a critical duty]
• Respond to customer’s queries and complaints promptly and decisively. [This is a critical duty]
• Asist the owner in the recruitment of staff when needed through set employment procedures. Owner to approve all prospective candidates
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Other Duties and Responsibilities to be performed by FOH Manager, either personally, or take responsibility to ensure the following are performed as required, through sub-ordinates under their control
• Personally meet, welcome and seat customers on arrival and introduce their waiter to them. [This is a critical duty]
• Prepare daily report at the end each shift to include day end cash-up reports including reconciled card, cash payments, waiter sales, account sales, daily stock issues report, bulking report, stock variance report, purchase reports and assigned duty roster on a weekly cycle. [This is a critical duty]
• Ensure that all employees adhere to set uniform standards at all times.
• Assume responsibility to check Bar and Kitchen stock levels personally or through direct subordinates, to ensure accuracy of stock on hand in relation to PLU sales are in balance and investigates all shortages personally. [This is a critical duty]
• Manage restaurant staff at start of and during shifts in order to ensure all duties are performed according to specific duty criteria – complete and file all daily duties completed in accordance with Dros Standards. Take action with non-performers.
• Ensure that the kitchen, dining room and bar areas, outer perimeter as well as storage facilities are cleaned at all times in accordance to “daily duties” roster. [This is a critical duty]
• Personally take charge and coordinate all operation within the restaurant especially during busy (Rush) periods to ensure optimum customer interaction, service and customer satisfaction at all times.
• Undertake and monitor stock counts of kitchenware, cutlery and crockery on a weekly basis and ensure adequate security of all employer’s assets. File results with other week-end/month-end reports. [This is a critical duty]
• Personally check toilets on a hourly basis for cleanliness, hygiene and sanitization and that duties have been done in accordance to schedule.
• Ensure that the employees maintain health and safety standards
Due to the varied nature of demands of customers and that of the hospitality industry, other duties relating to job function may be assigned from time to time.
Skills and specifications
A restaurant manager is required to have specific skills and knowledge that will enable them to perform required duties effectively. A restaurant manager’s core job skills and specifications include the following:
• Superior organizational and management skills for position
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Lead by example
• Effective communication skills, both written and oral
• Ability to train, mentor and motivate staff to excel in the performance of their duties
• Problem identification and solving skills
• Impeccable customer service skills
• Ability to lead by example and manage all staff under their control
Education and Qualifications
For the position of Restaurant Manager, no formal or tertiary education and or qualifications are mandatory. However, due to the nature and responsibility of the position a degree or suitable diploma in restaurant management and or a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the relevant position is needed.