The Database Administrator will be responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of Oracle and MS SQL based solutions and systems.
Primary Responsibilities for the Role
- Administration and management of databases in DEV, QA, pre-prod & production environments.
- Provide technical expertise on the installation, setup, configuration of database servers, including infrastructure
- Pro-active monitoring of databases both from a performance and capacity management perspective.
- Performance tuning and optimization of database schema, indexes, stored procedures etc.
- Perform database maintenance activities such as backup/recovery, rebuilding and reorganizing indexes.
- Ensure that all database releases are properly assessed and measured from a functionality and performance perspective.
- Ensure that all database environments are up to date with the latest service packs, patches & security fixes.
- Take ownership and ensure high quality, timely delivery of database related projects on hand.
- Collaborate with application developers and operations/support teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with Microsoft database administration is an advantage
Desired Skills, Experience and Qualities:
Education & Qualification
- Recognized tertiary qualification
- Certification in Oracle (OCP DBA)
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong knowledge of Oracle database technologies
- Strong knowledge of SQL language and PL/SQL
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Unix operating systems and environments
- Knowledge of Oracle RAC
- Knowledge of Oracle Internet Application server and Web Logic server environments is an advantage
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows server environments is an advantage
- Strong research skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Good at problem solving
- Ability to perform well under pressure
- Good Technical writing skills
- Min 5 years working experience in implementing and maintaining Oracle database solutions
- Min 3 years working experience in implementing and maintaining MS SQL database solutions
- Actively seeking and implementing opportunities to maximize value in any aspect of the business.
- Setting a culture of continuously striving for better performance
- Challenging the current state in order to seek real improvements
- Motivating and developing people to deliver superior results in a responsible manner
- Building and maintaining effective culture
- Creating a climate in which individuals and teams develop their potential and contribute their best
- Managing accountabilities and providing timely and constructive feedback
- Coaching and providing development opportunities that enable high performance
- Taking responsibility and accountability for own behaviour, performance and development
- Taking ownership for own performance and decisions and their impact on the business
- Demonstrating tenacity and resilience even when faced with obstacles
- Seeking opportunities for personal feedback, learning and development
- Acting decisively when tough or quick action is required