iX engineers is seeking a dynamic Geometric Engineer to provide discipline specific engineering services to iX engineers and its clients, including design and construction monitoring duties, while supporting the broader iX engineers business values in our Cape Town Office.
Areas of Responsibilities
- 1. Business Development and Support
- Build relationships with key clients to secure new business.
- Market the transport engineering capability for the Cape Town location.
- Provide specialist technical advice to clients.
- 2. Internal Project Management, Health and Safety, Administration and Quality Management Procedures
- Comply with Company procedures and processes in terms of project registration and risk analysis.
- Comply with Quality procedures by ensuring auditable trail of actions during full life cycle of project delivery process all in accordance with company Quality Management Procedures.
- Comply with and embrace Health and Safety requirements in the work place as well as on construction sites.
- 3. Project Delivery
- Provide specialist geometric direction, advice and control on transport (roads) projects. Key performance and knowledge areas include, Geometric Road Design (rural roads, interchanges, intersections and roundabouts), Road Safety Engineering, Road Safety Audits, Transport Planning Methodologies, Transport System Capacities, Non-Motorized Transport, Contract Documentation and Administration of Civil Engineering Contracts; and Project Management.
- Prepare and evaluate specialist geometric designs, prepare technical reports and cost estimates and liaise with other professionals, both internally and externally.
- Develop and implement discipline specific technical practices, specifications and procedures.
- Facilitate and assist with the tender and adjudication process leading up to contractor appointment and site hand over.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the design, procurement and construction of discipline specific projects.
- Responsible for the commercial and technical execution and delivery of medium and large scale projects. Cooperate with project teams to achieve strategic objectives.
- Develop and promote cost reduction and productivity enhancing initiatives.
- Ensure effective resource management on projects.
- Assist with technical design reviews when requested on projects for the Transport Engineering Department.
- Contribute to the drafting of tenders and assist with multi-disciplinary tenders
- 4. Training and Mentoring
- Participate in continuous professional development training in order to maintain professional registration.
- Mentor, coach, train and provide technical leadership to team members and candidate Engineers/Technologists/Technicians
- 5. Leadership and Relations
- Build and maintain good working relations with all stakeholders, both internal and external to the company.
- Provide supervisory and technical leadership on projects.
- Manage project teams to control risks and to achieve targets on time and within budget.
- Assist with the compilation and review of discipline specific technical standard,templates and technologies.
Desired Skills & Experience
B.Eng, B Sc Eng or B.Tech degree. A relevant MEng or M.Tech.will be advantageous.
Professional Registration with ECSA as Pr. Eng. or Pr. Tech. Eng.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Key experience includes the geometric design of urban- and rural roads and infrastructure, interchanges,
intersections, traffic calming measures, road safety improvements and modern roundabout design, non-motorized transport (NMT) planning and implementation, universal access design, road signs and markings, highway capacity analysis, road safety audits, (FIDIC, GCC2010, COLTO & SANS1200) contract documentation and administration; and Project Management.
Essential Knowledge, skills and Experience
SANRAL and Western Cape Government roads experience.
Project management and leadership skills.
A specialist knowledge of the fundamental requirements of the discipline, and the basic requirements of other disciplines.
Acknowledged and proven specialist knowledge of applicable local and international standards and statutory and regulatory requirements.
A specialist technical background with 5 to 10 years experience in the geometric design of roads (National, Provincial and Municipal/Urban).
Conversant with Civil 3D, Bill, MS Word & MS Excel
Knowledge of Civil Designer, Autoturn, Transoft, MS Projects, AutoCad and HDM-4 will be an advantage