The core purpose of the DevOps Analyst is to enable an increase in speed of delivery, improve quality/security of code, and optimize processes for development team. The DevOps Analyst is responsible for identifying the bottlenecks of various development and delivery processes, working with team members to improve them, and improving the overall experience of developers. They are responsible for infrastructure-as-code deployment tooling and supporting services on multiple cloud provides along with metrics and login.
Key Performance Areas: Core, essential responsibilities / outputs of the position (KPA's)
- Assist in providing input to the Digital Channels and Services strategy, including the client’s Omni-channel digital strategy.
- Assist in Identifying key changes to digital systems in the future from technological, commercial, business and consumer behaviour perspectives.
- Work closely with Tech Leads and developers of various teams to assess existing problems and to come up with process improvement solutions.
- Detect upcoming bottlenecks and production issues proactively and consult teams hands-on towards improved technical solutions.
- Collaborate with the rest of DevOps team to deliver consistent and holistic solution to the organization.
Planning & Delivery
- Participate in planning delivery time, code quality, and process efficiency improvement projects.
- Execute on plan by building coding standardization and automating processes for the organization.
- Perform daily tasks such as environmental health checks, disk space monitoring, and environmental status reports.
- Maintain and grows knowledge of platform configuration management and troubleshooting.
- Actively participate in deploying application artifacts to appropriate target environments using the supported technologies and infrastructure.
- Interface with internal and external industry experts to anticipate customer needs and facilitate solutions development.
- Collaborate across functional teams within the broader team to enable the development of solutions necessary to drive the desired business outcomes for customers.
- Survey developers and technical members of the organization to understand their main pain points in the coding and development process.
Governance and Risk Management
- Ensure compliance of all digital systems with all regulatory, commercial, and business requirements (e.g., Security and integrity of banking systems).
- Ensure system documentation is sufficiently detailed and up to date to ensure business continuity and prevent over-reliance on a few individuals.
- Develop & implement functional policies, standard operating procedures and best practices that ensure operational efficiency, accuracy, security, integrity and compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Provide insight to the management of partners and ensure all contracts are managed in line with procurement policies and standards, to drive compliance to set processes and procedures.
People Leadership and Organisational Capability Building
- Hold indirect reports accountable for the achievement of business plans and take corrective actions where necessary to ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Instill the Cloud engineering domain knowledge within the technical support team.
- Coach and mentor junior team members
- Act as an ambassador and role model for the Technology by living the brand values and vital behaviours.
- Make environment the best place to work.
- Improve the employee engagement through the GCA/Sentimeter.
- Participate in the attraction, development and retention of Planning and Engineering talent.
- Assist in ensuring a culture of continuous evaluation and improvement.
- Drive a culture of high performance, accountability, and consequence management.
- Supporting the head with digital systems expenditures in line with agreed budgets.
- Support in obtaining approval for digital systems equipment configurations to be ordered from suppliers including cost control and full life-cycle costing.
- Support the head in identifying and eliminating non-contributory expenditures.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Competencies)
- Sc Computer Science or BEng (Electronic)
- Minimum of 5-8 years’ experience in area of specialisation.
- Experience in Continuous Integration/Delivery.
- Proficient in development languages.
- Proficient in Mobile Application development.
- Experience working in a medium to large organization.
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate complex technical concepts and align organization on decisions.
- Sound problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly process complex information and present it clearly and simply.
- Utilizes team collaboration to create innovative solutions efficiently.
- Excellent coding and scripting skills (Bash, Perl) and experience with implementing high-scale cloud architectures using modern, cloud-based container platforms (PaaS/SaaS)
- Working knowledge of deployment automation solutions (i.e., Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
- Knowledge of cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure) and cluster management tools like Kubernetes, Docker, configuration management and monitoring.
- Experience with continuous integration and related tools such as Jenkins, Hudson, Maven, Ant, Git, Sonar, etc.
- Experienced with building, debugging, operating systems, databases, and infrastructure at scale.
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Experience as a DevOps or SRE Engineer on a cross-functional agile team preferred.
- Passionate about technology and excited about the impact of emerging/disruptive technologies.
- Wants to unleash inner self-starter and work in an environment that fosters entrepreneurial minds.
- Believes in culture of brutal transparency and trust.
- Open to learning new ideas outside scope or knowledge.
- Head - Big Picture Focus (20).
- Conceptual Thinker - Executes tactical plans to achieve strategic requirements.
- Problem Solver - Has the mental agility to identify and solve relevant business challenges.
- Improvement Driver - Executes and identifies opportunities for commercial innovation and continuous improvement.
Heart – Emotionally Intelligent (30)
- Culture and Change Champion - Role models practice by living the client’s values and vital behaviours for others to follow.
- Supportive People Manager - Is self-aware and supports team capability development through opportunity creation for realising potential.
- Relationship Manager - Builds professional networks across teams through collaboration and co-operation.
Hands – Results Focused (40)
- Results Achiever - Produces sustainable business results.
- Operationally Astute - Sets priorities, plans, organises and co-ordinates the work of others.
- Complex Reasoning
- Customer Centricity
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Open Communication
- Realistic Thinking
- Risk Taking
- Sense of Purpose
- Socioemotional Intelligence
- Team Orientation
- Trust & Transparency
Collaboration (Formal and Informal Relationships)
- Build professional networks across teams through collaboration and co-operation.