We are on the lookout for a full-time Senior PHP Engineer to join our development team.
Our ideal Senior PHP Engineer will be proficient in Laravel and share our passion for technology and making a difference in South Africa Cape Town. We are seeking a problem-solver with 5+ years of experience as a software developer who has great communication skills and a can-do positive attitude.
As a Senior PHP Engineer, you will be involved in the entire product lifecycle including the design, development, deployment and maintenance of new and existing features and responsible for developing and maintaining functional and stable web applications. You'll be our go-to person for all PHP projects and you'll be an integral part of the Technology team.
If you are a motivated, ambitious PHP software developer, have a track record of building high performing and secure web applications and are ready for a new challenge in an egoless environment, this role is for you.
As a Senior PHP Engineer, your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Write clean, well-designed code following industry best practices
- Develop and maintain cutting edge web-based PHP applications
- Refactor, optimise and improve the existing codebase for maintenance and scale
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Troubleshoot, test and maintain web applications and databases to ensure performance and functionality
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges
- Perform code/peer reviews for other members in the team
- Write code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code reviews
- Create and maintain documentation throughout the development process
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Recognise impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), and propose and implement solutions
- Use test-driven development and acceptance tests to ensure feature quality
- Keep up to date with new trends and best practices in web development
Our ideal Senior PHP Engineer will possess:
- Previous working experience as a PHP Software Developer for 5+ years
- Certificate or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a similar relevant field (preferred but not essential)
- Experience with PHP MVC frameworks like Symfony/Laravel
- Knowledge of object-oriented PHP programming
- Excellent relational database skills with MySQL
- Good working knowledge of Git
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of API development and accompanying processes
- Experience with building restful JSON web services
- Experience with cloud infrastructure providers, preferably AWS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organisational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and apply preventative measures
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organisational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organisation
Knowledge of the following will be advantageous:
- Experience with Symfony/Laravel-based CMS like OctoberCMS
- Good understanding of Docker & container-orchestration technologies like Docker Swarm or K8s. ECS/EKS orchestration beneficial
- Experience with the core services of the AWS eco-system, such as IAM, Security Groups, VPC, EC2, RDS, S3, Cloudfront, etc.
- Experience with Unix/ Linux Based server environments and command line
- Great understanding of Apache and/or NGINX
- Salesforce Platform and Salesforce programming languages such as APEX and VisualForce
- Agile and lean methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
With us, you would:
- Join an award-winning team in an industry-leading company in African travel and help us shape the future of our industry;
- Make an impact - for every 7 people we bring to Africa, we create one permanent job in the tourism industry;
- Earn an attractive remuneration package including a competitive base salary, 3% pension fund and 20 days of paid vacation per year;
- Hybrid work model – Enjoy the flexibility of working on-site and remotely part of the week;
- When on-site (usually 2 days a week), carry out your craft in gorgeous offices in the heart of Cape Town - the world's most beautiful city;
- Optional Health Insurance coverage with Essential Med;
- Work under visionary leaders who encourage a family culture, open and direct communication and honest feedback;
- Collaborate with a diverse and talented high-performance team;
Explore Africa - To share our glorious continent with the crash, we offer each of our Rhinos exclusive access to the Roaming Rhinos online travel portal. With the keys to the kingdom you'll unlock travel deals for yourself, your family and your friends. You'll get to take advantage of rebates on activities, transport and accommodation, including our own Camissa House and Silvan Safari Lodge