Position: Operations Manager
Location: Pinetown, New Germany
Purpose of the Job:
The Operations Manager is primarily an Operations support function which is responsible to create operations excellence across all functions within the KZN branch, the aim is to enable the Warehouse and Operations teams to deliver exceptional service to customers.
The KZN branch is a strategic component of the organisation within the Supply chain, it is a key link to all our DC’s and branches within and all its affiliated customers. The KZN Branch facilitates the importation and flow of strategic commodities and other goods for the business as well as supporting the branch’s customer requirements.
The satisfaction of customer needs through world class products and services is the main priority of this key role.
Qualification and Skills Level:
- Strong leadership and demonstrated change management ability
- BCom or similar Qualification,
- Formal qualification in Logistics//Operations/Supply Chain Management and a minimum 5 years’ experience within an Operations/Supply Chain Environment or equivalent experience.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft packages: Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook.
- Excellent knowledge of ERP systems – SYSPRO, SAP, WMS or similar.
- Minimum of 10 Years’ experience in an operations environment
- Project Management Skills and experience
- Member of SAPICS or other Professional Supply Chain associations
Demand Planning and Procurement
- Manage Demand and Replenishment for the branch in conjunction with Factory MRP processes
- Manage Procurement operations in line with Group Policy
- Support Central Procurement initiatives at Head office
- Allocate resources in warehouse to cover receiving, put-away, pick, dispatch
- Design and implement SOP’s for all aspects of the warehouse
- Manage the adherence to SOP’s
- Manage 3rd Party Warehouse operations
- Measure the overall warehouse and review the scorecard with the team
- Support Food Safety Culture and Sustainability
- Manage the allocation of fleet resources (own and out-sourced) to serve customers
- Design a fleet “mix” which suits the customer base
- Design route plans that optimise the fleet without compromising customer service
- Manage fleet costs within budgeted levels and against best practice
Stock Management and Process Control
- Become the custodian and process owner relating to stock management
- Implement systems to manage stock proactively and to limit stock losses
- Measure the adherence to stock management systems and SOP’s and provide feedback to the warehouse in terms of accuracy, losses, exceptions etc.
- Intervene directly where non-compliance or losses are realized
Key Performance Areas
- Support Sales teams to achieve budgeted volumes
- Manage OPEX and CAPEX and ensure all Operations and Warehousing costs remain within budget
- Minimise Inventory losses, maintain correct FIFO and stock rotation practices
- Manage Inventory levels within set budget guidelines, stock levels and Product mix
- Design and implement operational SOP’s for all parts of the business
- Measure compliance to SOP’s and enforce adherence to them
- Utilize available dashboards and BI platforms to measure the performance of the Operation
- Implement Food Safety standards to ensure quality products to customers
- Ensure full Lot traceability for all Products where applicable
- Maintain quality standards in SC and drive the Food Safety Culture R638
- Ensure high levels of OTIF for all Customers, Branches and Agents
- Effective Customer support Service provided
- Measure customer service and address shortcomings
- KPI's defined and Performance Management Processes in place
- Training needs identified and plan in place - upgrade SC skills
- Disciplinary processes supported - poor performers managed
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation.
- Must be able to work independently and well as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and make good decisions in pressure situations.
- Meticulous with a high level of attention to detail combined with the ability to deliver on tight time
- Positive and energetic attitude with a hands-on approach to work.
- Mind set of “Finish Today’s Work Today”.
- Ability to hold all employees accountable to deliver on their required outputs.
- A good communicator with the ability to read and write reports in English.