Our client is looking for an experienced Group Environmental Specialist to join their team. Job Profile:
To ensure compliance, governance, monitoring and continuous improvement towards excellence in environmental management and sustainability. Providing assurance to the AECI Executive Committee, Board, internal and external stakeholders in support of the Group’s Zero Harm and Sustainability strategy.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To monitor, report, improve and provide oversight of environmental compliance in support of Zero Harm and Sustainability best practices and legal compliance.
- To provide assurance to the AECI Executive Committee, Board and relevant sub-committees, internal and external stakeholders, regarding environmental governance in support of AECI being a leader in Sustainability.
- To formally represent AECI and its businesses to external stakeholders regarding environmental performance in support of a positive corporate reputation.
- To develop, execute and review the Group Sustainability strategy as a member of the Group Sustainability Steering Committee.
- To provide credible input into the Integrated Report and Sustainability Report in support of the corporate reputation and meeting the listed entity requirement and shareholder expectations.
- To compile Environmental Due Diligence Reports for potential acquisitions to support AECI Growth Strategy and pro-actively identify and mitigate business risks and support investment decisions.
- To pro-actively report potential legislative changes and emerging risks to the Group Compliance Officer to incorporate these into the Compliance Universe.
- To monitor, report, improve and provide oversight of Climate Change regulation, risk and governance.
- Support development programmes aligned with relevant selected UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and reported in the Group’s Sustainability Report.
Qualifications and experience:
- Grade 12/ Matric
- Masters Degree in Environmental Management or Chemical/Environmental Engineering
- 8 - 10 years’ experience within an Operations and Manufacturing environment (Chemical or Mining)
- 5 – 10 years in Environmental Management within Operations and Manufacturing environments
- Excellent understanding of Environmental Legislation
- Experience in all fields of Sustainability
- Experience in environmental management systems (ISO 14001, Responsible Care™)
- Experience in environmental reporting standards (CDP, WDP, DJSI, GRI, TCFD)