No applications will be accepted after the closing date (25 March 2022). Nelson Mandela University reserves the right not to make an appointment. In considering candidates for appointment into the advertised posts, preference will be accorded to persons from a designated group in accordance with the approved Nelson Mandela University Employment Equity Plan.
CORE PURPOSE OF JOB
SAIMI seeks to appoint an Administration Officer to provide administrative support to the National Seafarer Development Programme (NSDP) and ensuring effective support and coordination of the NSDP activities to the benefit of the seafarers and the overall Operation Phakisa objectives. Support in management of stakeholders and related administrative functions. Position reports to the NSDP Manager.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
1. NSDP Administration
1.1 Assist NSDP Manager to ensure effective support and coordination of the NSDP activities to the benefit of the seafarers.
1.2 Ensure that the NSDP is managed and reported on in line with the requirements of its funders.
1.3 Assist with the development and implementation of a Quality Management System for the company’s NSDP project.
1.4 Stand in for NSDP Manager during the latter’s absence from office to ensure functional continuity.
1.5 Perform those additional functions, as determined by the NSDP Manager, to be in the best interest of the programme.
1.6 Promote and facilitate access to online learning courses for learners.
2. Stakeholder Engagement
2.1 Liaise with various supporting associations to ensure that Learners utilise their publications/forums/reference libraries etc., to gain a broader knowledge of the subject matter relevant to their career.
2.2 Organise various stakeholder liaison forums.
2.3 Organise regular Learner feedback forums.
2.4 Identify opportunities to market the broader NSDP to high school learners and students already in maritime studies programmes.
2.5 Identify and develop opportunities to extend the NSDP concept into other sectors.
2.6 Liaison between training service providers and NSF.
2.7 Initiate, suggest, and support communication efforts with stakeholders to share information on the NSDP.
2.8 Work closely with NSDP service providers to ensure efficient delivery of training programmes.
2.9 closely with NSDP service providers to ensure efficient delivery of training programmes.
3. Information Management
3.1 Implement and maintain a systematic filing system for the Department (both hard copy and electronic).
3.2 Maintain departmental information and documents on the shared departmental intranet site or website as may be required.
3.3 Assist NSDP Manager with research and collation of data.
3.4 Maintain records and statistics of all training related activities and individual Learners’ training progress.
3.5 Maintain electronic database of Learners’ details & training progress.
3.6 Maintain all relevant records such as Service Level Agreements, Learner Agreement templates, meeting minutes, forum outcomes, policies, procedures, project reports etc.
3.7 Maintain a comprehensive and detailed database of all South African seafarers including those who are looking for positions.
4. Financial Management
4.1 Collate monthly reports and prepare data and project information for submission to funders.
4.2 Review and analyse expenditure incurred on the programme.
4.3 Provide assistance and support during audits conducted by the funders.
4.4 Provide information to assist the manager to prepare the draft budget.
4.5 Maintain records of subsequent budgetary expenditure within the office.
4.6 Assist in monitoring budget by providing information as to the budget spent and discuss possible corrective action with line manager.
5. General Office Administration
5.1 Handle routine and general correspondence where appropriate.
5.2 Circulating important correspondence, reports, minutes, and other information for easy access by staff.
5.3 Coordinate all aspects of meetings, workshops, conferences, and teleconferences; and informing staff and external stakeholders timeously of the events.
• Excellent administration skills.
• Seafarer knowledge and experience an advantage.
• High-level English language skills; additional languages an advantage.
• High level computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft applications.
• Ability to coordinate competing priorities, meet demanding deadlines and work under pressure.
• Research and data collection skills.
• Project coordination and reporting.
• Relationship-building and team orientation.
• High level of integrity and commitment to professional responsibilities.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Post-school qualification in maritime studies or similar e.g. National diploma, BTech, 3-4 year degree in maritime studies or related fields. Additional relevant qualifications will be an advantage.
• Experience of the functioning of the maritime shipping/transport sector and its business requirements.
• At least 5 or more year’s administrative experience in the maritime industry with an emphasis on IT skills and functionality.
• Time spent at sea as part of a seafarer/cadet training programme, will be an advantage.
• After-hours work and travel (local/international) may be required. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION e.g. Contact person and telephone number, e-mail; etc.
Vision To be a dynamic African university, recognised for its leadership in generating cutting-edge knowledge for a sustainable future. Mission To offer a diverse range of quality educational opportunities that will make a critical and constructive contribution to regional, national and global sustainability. Values Respect for diversity,Excellence,Ubuntu,Integrity,Respect for the natural environment,Taking responsibility
You have successfully created your alert.
You will receive an email when a new job matching your criteria is posted.
Your account has not been verified. Please use the verification link sent via email.Resend Verification Link