Our client which is an independent conservation organization seeks to employ a Senior Manager -Food Systems to join their team in Cape Town. or JHB
- At least a master’s level qualification in Food and/or Agriculture related discipline
- At least 10 years’ experience in the area of environmental issues associated with the Food and Agricultural sectors
- A practical appreciation for South Africa’s Food &Agricultural context and the spectrum of nature positive, regenerative practices (standards and their derivatives) in production and consumption.
- A demonstrated ability to network and build strong partnerships.
- In addition to a balanced understanding of land tenure in South Africa’s context, an experience of building sustainable value chains in fishing and/or farming.
- Ability to positively engage stakeholders (in government, business and society) to act on the challenges that we face together in the Food, Agriculture (including water) sector.
- An integrated understanding of Food and Agriculture policy landscape, with high level strategic relationships in government.
- A highly versatile and adaptable food and agricultural sector professional who can grasp and communicate concepts quickly and well.
- A clear understanding of the contemporary political economic imperatives to South Africa’s environmental challenges.
- Exceptional leadership skills, including the ability to contribute to teams lead by others and a willingness to innovate and drive interdisciplinary approaches.
- A good understanding of the broad range of projects undertaken by the organization and knowledge of the relevant institutional landscape in South Africa.
- Experience with budget planning, project monitoring and evaluation, and reporting to donors.
- Experience with development of funding proposals.
- Demonstrated writing, media communication and presentation skills.
- An ability to convey complex environmental issues in a powerful way to diverse audiences.
- A strong command of English as a working language is essential and ability to speak another of South Africa’s official languages, particularly relating to small producers will be an advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide thematic leadership to organization's work on Food Systems, which includes the areas of sustainable agriculture and small-holder farmer support initiatives.
- In addition to understanding contemporary global developments and impact of Food and Agricultural production on natural systems, provide expertise on regenerative production and consumption practices related to food systems, including emphasis on smallholder farming practices.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams and provide strategic and technical content for policies work related to related thematic portfolios including freshwater, wildlife, climate & energy, biodiversity stewardship & land, and urban systems.
- Work with the Strategic Communications team to develop internal and external communication material regarding relevant support for the Food Systems work in order to meet project goals, broaden and engage constituencies.
- Participate in the organization's Corporate partnership, Business Network and other corporate relations management processes that are linked to the thematic portfolio.
- Work with partners to build regenerative value chains including a developmental approach to market access while observing both Environmental and Social safeguards according to set guidelines.
- Build sustainable funding streams to support implementation of the plan of work on Food Systems.
- Assist with relevant and appropriate staff recruitment, development, and mentorship of associated staff and, where relevant, partners linked to the Food Systems theme.
- Oversee an effective project cycle management process and manage reporting and alignment processes for related projects
- Ensure alignment with the organization's 2025 Strategy
- Implement Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning approaches to support and enhance the organization's strategic impact
- Serve as the organization's spokesperson in engagement with media on matters of Food, Agriculture and Smallholder farmers.
- Perform further duties as necessary to achieve key outcomes of the organization's Strategy for Food, Agriculture and Smallholder support projects.
If you are not contacted within two weeks of applying, please consider your application unsuccessful.