Fieldworker Supervisor x 2 â Fixed Term Contract vacancies are available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium's Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in Parktown, Tshwane - Gauteng.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job:
- To provide technical support, manage and supervise a team of Peer Educator (Treatment Navigators) assigned to a health facility to ensure individualised support for patients newly diagnosed with HIV and those already on ART, including follow up contacts to ensure retention of clients into ART and TB treatment services.
- Sub district 5,6 & 7 - Tshwane
Key performance areas:
- To coordinate the allocation of HIV positive patients to the treatment navigators and monitor the retention to care of the allocated clients, therefore.
- Mentor, capacitate and provide technical assistance to the treatment navigators to ensure linkage and retention of HIV positive patients.
- Coordinate and monitor the tracing of early and late missed appointments to avoid patients lost to follow up (home visit, calls, and SMS).
- Monitor and direct referral of HIV positive patients with different needs to multi-disciplinary teams (psychosocial, nutrition etc.).
- Provide supervision and leadership to treatment navigators to ensure implementation of day-to-day activities as well as monitoring output of the project.
- Liaise with community stakeholders and gate keepers (ward counsellors, community leaders, traditional health practitioners, hostel managers etc.) to ensure access of lost to follow up clients for health services
- Liaise with DOH facilities to ensure smooth referral and transfer in and out of clients within facilities to ensure retention in care and treatment.
- Organise community awareness, screening, mop up and tracing campaigns to improve the management of HIV clients and retention into care activities.
- Provide technical support to the team to provide individualised support for patients newly diagnosed with HIV, including follow up contacts through phone calls or SMS and make arrangement for physical tracing.
- Mentor the treatment navigators to make appointments for first and subsequent follow up visits for the HIV services.
- Provide technical support to the teams with regard to clients follow up to ensure clients attend their scheduled appointments.
- Mentoring of the team members to provide information to clients on other services available in the clinic or community.
- Ensure that the team maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Ensure that treatment navigators report their activities as per the tools for the program (daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly).
- Ensure and monitor the use of reporting tools as set for the program.
- Ensure that gadgets for treatment navigators are working and safely kept.
- Attend to all staff requirement and administration.
- Supervise and manage the duties of subordinates to ensure optimal staff utilisation and maintenance of sound labour relation.
- Set and review performance plans.
- Identify substandard performance by team members and take necessary corrective action.
- Coach and train subordinates and team members to ensure the acquisition of knowledge and skills required by the organisation.
- Promote harmony, teamwork and sharing of information.
- Take ownership, responsibility and accountability for tasks and demonstrates effective self-management.
- Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and accurately maintained.
- Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback.
- Take ownership, responsibility and accountability for tasks and demonstrates effective self-management
Required minimum education and training:
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
Required minimum work experience:
- At least 1 year relevant experience in the health field, or related post.
- Experience and knowledge of working with TB and HIV clients.
Demands of the job:
- Working overtime or over weekends may be required from time to time.
- Able to work in a highly pressurised and challenging environment.
- May be required to work at sites that are under confidentiality, tact with discretion to be maintained at all times.
- Local travel may be required.
Communications and relationships:
- Maintain effective working and communication relationships with Peer Educator (Treatment Navigator), Health facilities, Community leaders and Community stakeholders, Partners’ organizations and Wits RHI staff at facility and community levels.
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 25 November 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position