RESEARCH NURSE LEAD
The Desmond Tutu Health Foundation (DTHF) is a registered non-profit organisation focused on the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment, training and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
We have fantastic job opportunities across our businesses for talented people wanting to realize their full potential. Could that be you? If so, we invite you to explore the possibility of joining us to play your part in Desmond Tutu Health Foundations’ exciting future.
The main purpose of this role is to perform day-to-day nursing functions in a research-related environment, as well as to work in the Youth Centre Clinic.
- Degree in Nursing with an active registration with SANC
- Valid Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Certificate
- At least 5 years of nursing experience
- At least 2-3 years staff management experience
- At least 1 year experience working on clinical trials
- Computer literacy with sound knowledge of email, word processing and internet
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- Experience of working with adolescents
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication
- Ability to work well under pressure and to maintain effectiveness during changing conditions
- Ability to work harmoniously with youth of diverse backgrounds
- Client focused
- Ability to work in a team and to be able to foster a collaborative relationship with local clinics and hospitals
- Must be detail orientated
- Good planning and organising skills
- Administration skills
- Maintaining strict client confidentiality
- Willing to work on COVID-19 related studies if and when needed
- Willingness and ability to work youth friendly hours
- Valid Driver’s license and own transport
- At least 1 year nursing experience in a primary healthcare environment
- Speaking IsiXhosa
Clinical procedures within the research centre
- Provide a welcoming and supportive environment for participants
- Assist in maintaining good clinic flow
- Assist Study Coordinators in day to day clinic functions
- Refer all related queries to medical staff as required
- Maintain participant confidentiality
- Perform phlebotomy
- Perform all required medical observations for physical examinations
- Assist with checking crash cart contents on a monthly basis
- Perform pregnancy tests
- Perform HIV and other STI testing on study participants and YC clients
- Provide family planning services to research participants
- Ensure accurate, timeous data entry into source documents as per study protocol and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attend to study and monitor queries
- Perform the scheduled visits and administer the investigational product (IP) to the study participants as per the protocol, guidelines, SCO, pharmacist and/or medical officer.
- Oversee participant visits and ensure participants move through all study procedures efficiently.
- Assist with screening, consenting, enrolment and follow-up of participants at participating schools including home visits if required
- Perform participant interviews and counselling as per protocol requirements
- Ensure familiarity with local counselling testing and referral guidelines
- Assist in liaising with pharmacist regarding supply and management of FPC and STI drugs
Assist in the adolescent clinic’s Sexual Reproductive Health services
- Provide education on sexual reproductive health including
- HIV/TB and STI education to clients.
- Rapid testing for HIV & STIs
- Provide Family Planning counselling & services, perform pregnancy tests as required.
- Provide Primary Health Care services according to PACK & EDL guidelines.
- Assess advice & treat the client needing a prescription.
- Refer to relevant secondary or tertiary hospital as needed.
- Capture data daily on relevant IT program.
- Ensure that consultation rooms have sufficient supplies to run the clinic on each day.
- Order stock monthly from Province.
- Provide stats monthly to DOH.
- Manage medical waste monthly.
- Monthly checking of emergency trolley and eyewash stations
Supervision and management
- Line manage nurses
- Perform performance assessments of relevant staff and provide constructive feedback to staff
- Communicate with and assist HR Dept. concerning staff issues.
- Assist with staff interviews and disciplinary hearings
Values fit: Passion Innovation Progress Integrity Respect Excellence
Submit CV, motivation letter with certified copy of highest qualification and details of three (3) current contactable referees by 29 April 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Visit the DTHF Career page to view the advert DTHF-C035 and apply: DTHF Career Page
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are committed to equity in our employment practices. It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives. We reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidates are identified.
I understand and accept that by applying for this position, I authorized DTHF to process my personal information in accordance with its internal operational requirements.
I further understand that the personal information I disclose to DTHF will be processed in accordance with the requirements set out in the Protection of Personal Information Act and may include the transferring thereof to third parties for the purposes of verification.
This job may be removed before it expires.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Desmond Tutu Health Foundation is a child-friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
For more information about the organization please visit our website.