Main purpose of the job:
- Coordinate and manage all CHAMPS (Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance study) programme streams in a cohesive and strategic manner working closely with the CHAMPS Principal Investigator and the CHAMPS stream leads
- Wits Vaccines & Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit, Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, Soweto - Johannesburg
Key performance areas:
- Research programme development and implementation including programme management and epidemiology oversight
- In conjunction with respective Principal Investigator/s (PI) manages full scope of the study conduct including protocol development and implementation, reports and reporting, and publications according to all applicable organisational and sponsor-mandated standards
- Collate and formalise all cross-functional efforts to efficiently and effectively achieve study objectives and goals
- Effectively liaise with all relevant internal and external stakeholders in order to meet programme goals
- Ensure consolidated epidemiology coherence across different programme streams
- Manage the programme organisational plan as set out in the project plan and in conjunction with the respective PI and other necessary stakeholders
- Escalate and manage the resolution of all relevant issues to the required and respective line authorities including PI, sponsor and others as required
- Writing of manuscripts, protocols and grants proposals as required and in conjunction with respective manager and/or PI
- Compile accurate, factual, reliable and strategically aligned reports to the various stakeholders as per sponsor, PI, government department and organisation requirements including recommendations based on research findings
- Strategic leadership contribution and participation in management committee/s as required and determined in accordance with organisational design and strategy development
- Stakeholder Relations and Community Engagement
- Ensure effective stakeholder engagement and feedback channels
- Prepare and facilitate presentations, meetings and events for sponsors and other stakeholders as required
- Provide support to other research sites, district hospitals and district health facilities where necessary e.g., community outreach projects, staff training, and implementation of protocols as required
- Oversee community liaison strategy and implementation in support of all relevant studies and programmes
- Administration, quality and compliance
- Provide oversight `1of quality assurance processes to ensure accurate and timely data collection and management
- Ensure regulatory compliance of all applicable programmes and between the organisation and external sites/partners as may apply
- Oversee the administration component or relevant research projects and programme streams including finance, human and material resources
- Liaise with all shared services, departmental and executive management in order to ensure effective administration of studies and programmes in line with company procedures and policies
- Staff management
- Attend to all staffing requirements for programmes and studies including short, medium and long-term resource planning across multiple grants and cost centres
- Supervise and manage the duties of subordinates to ensure optimal staff utilisation and maintenance of sound labour relations; lead cross-functional teams to promote productivity within projects
- Manage staff performance and performance of reporting teams to ensure productivity, performance management and appropriate corrective action as required
- Oversight of staff development, and provision of mentorship and/or coaching
- Promote harmony, teamwork and sharing of information In line with company standards
- Supervision of post-graduate students as required
- Create an environment that promotes talent recognition, development as well as agency and individual leadership
- Ensure teams comply with policies, applicable standards and administrative and internal communications requirements, and promote the organisation’s values and strategies
- Customer Service
- Act in a professional and friendly manner in all dealings with internal stakeholders
- Show a high level of customer centricity at all times
- Manage internal and external stakeholder expectations and communicate appropriately with initiative and solutions
- Effective self-management and performance ownership
- Take ownership and accountability for responsibility areas, demonstrate effective self-management, develop team and individual leadership and collaboration to support combined and individual objectives
- Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and accurately maintained
- Take ownership of driving your own career development
- Support and drive the business's core values, maintain a positive attitude and respond openly and constructively to feedback
Required minimum education and training:
- PhD degree in Epidemiology, Public Health or related field
Required minimum work experience:
- Minimum 8 years of working experience as an epidemiologist in a research environment, with at least 5 years experience at the senior management level overseeing grant-funded programs and large epidemiology studies or surveillance systems
- Expert-level experience with large databases and complex research data analyses
- Proven track record in the research grant application and multi-level collaborations with local and international collaborators/stakeholders
- In-depth understanding of South African health systems and experience working with the Department of Health
- Proven scientific publication record with at least 3 first or second-author peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Prior experience in mentoring junior scientists and supervising post-graduate students
Professional body registration:
- Registration with the HPCSA
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV.
- Please Apply Online and complete your registration on Ditto Hire (our application tracking system) to enable and protect you as a candidate to accept the new POPIA terms and conditions. This will then create your permanent profile with which you can apply for all jobs as advertised by AJ PERSONNEL. However, you may remove your profile from AJ PERSONNEL when you are no longer in the job market.
- AJ Personnel is fully POPIA Compliant.
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications: 30 June 2022.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- Our Client, WHC - VIDA, maintains mandatory Covid-19 requirements, and as such only Covid-19 vaccinated incumbents will be considered for positions.
- WHC, in accordance with its Employment Equity goals and plan, will give preference to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
- AJ Personnel is only responsible for advertising the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
- AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.