Main purpose of the job:
- The Department of Molecular Medicine and Haematology, a syndicate of the Wits Health Consortium (the University of the Witwatersrand, School of Pathology, Faculty of Health Science, Johannesburg, South Africa), is seeking a Data Scientist to join the Research and Development group to perform high-level laboratory diagnostic data analyses of HIV/TB/COVID19 for disease control
- Department of Molecular Medicine and Haematology, Wits Medical School – Parktown, Johannesburg
Key performance areas:
- Assist in organizing, conceptualizing, and conducting large, advanced spatial analyses as part of a team
- Maintain or modify existing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) databases
- Review existing or incoming data for accuracy, usefulness, quality, or completeness of documentation
- Performing data cleaning to convert data into its desired form
- Develop geodatabase schemas and analytical methods needed to support project goals
- Analyze and report on patterns and trends through spatial mapping of data
- Perform literature searches in order to supplement specialist knowledge and support healthcare policy and decisions
- Communicate and collaborate with team members and individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, both technical and non-technical
Required minimum education and training:
- MSc in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, Biostatistics/ Epidemiology, or a related field
Required minimum work experience:
- 1-3 years of professional work experience including experience with laboratory data analysis
Desirable additional education, work experience, and personal abilities:
- Advanced GIS software knowledge and experience including Esri GIS core products (e.g., ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online)
- Intermediate knowledge of programming languages (e.g. Python, R) and relational database management system software (e.g. SQL)
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and statistical software programs (e.g. STATA, SAS, SPSS)
- Good understanding of geospatial (GIS) reporting
- Understanding of the design of database architectures, data warehouses, data migrations, visual design/dashboards
- Research interest in priority diseases
- Knowledge or interest in epidemiology practices
- Knowledge of data quality management practices and data security and privacy
- Advanced communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize tasks within multiple ongoing projects
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV.
- Please Apply Online and complete your registration on Ditto Hire (our application tracking system) to enable and protect you as a candidate to accept the new POPIA terms and conditions. This will then create your permanent profile with which you can apply for all jobs as advertised by AJ PERSONNEL. However, you may remove your profile from AJ PERSONNEL when you are no longer in the job market.
- AJ Personnel is fully POPIA Compliant.
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications: 13 May 2022.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- Note WHC, in accordance with their Employment Equity goals and plan, will give preference to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
- PLEASE NOTE: Our Client, WHC, maintains mandatory Covid-19 requirements, and as such only Covid-19 vaccinated incumbents will be considered for positions.
- AJ Personnel is only responsible for advertising the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
- AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.