A Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Medical Scientist) - Fixed Term Contract vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium's Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics Research Unit (VIDA) in Soweto, Johannesburg - Gauteng
The Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit of the University of the Witwatersrand, formerly RMPRU (Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit) has for over 20 years conducted numerous studies to assess the burden of and to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD).
Current studies and projects include infant rotavirus and BCG trials, immunizing pregnant women to protect their infants against disease (including influenza, Group B streptococcus, and respiratory syncytial virus), and the Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) initiatives.
In 2020, VIDA commenced two international trials on COVID-19 vaccines amongst several other COVID-19 studies. World Health Organization position papers directly refer to the work conducted by RMPRU and have used such data generated to inform policy and recommendations for vaccine implementation globally and here in South Africa.
By combining clinical, microbiological, and epidemiological expertise in an African setting, the unit has made significant contributions in vaccine development against the leading respiratory and enteric pathogens contributing to under-5 childhood morbidity and mortality in Africa and other low and middle-income countries.
VIDA aims to continue to save lives, especially children, across Africa and low and middle-income countries, through leading and pioneering research in the field of vaccines and infectious diseases
Main purpose of the job
- To support the VIDA research leadership team with concept, project management and delivery of research projects and strategies as required, with an additional focus on genomic sequencing and laboratory-based projects.
- To coordinate the academic needs of students and other trainees in the research unit and supervise students and projects. Provide support to the laboratory team in terms of streamlined, strategic operations
- VIDA - Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital
Key performance areas
- Research design, implementation and management
- Drive elements of research design, grant applications and collaborations
- Provide management support ensuring projects and studies are coordinated efficiently and effectively, to budget, within timeframes with excellent cross-functional communication
- Research outputs and reporting: analysis of big genomic data will be critical, along with own publications and international presentation targets
- Student supervision
- Support supervision of multiple post-graduate students within the unit, including supporting completion timelines and other academic support requirements of Wits
- Staff management & unit coordination
- Coordinate small to large project teams as required depending on the study
- Write or contribute to Standard Operating Procedures as required
- Work across multiple sites in Johannesburg as required
- Support laboratory management as required
- Provide management support within the unit, upholding strategy, values, internal communication and development goals
Required minimum education and training
- PhD in Biological or Medical Science or suitable related field
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) advantageous
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Substantial infectious disease research experience including design and management of laboratory-based research projects, attracting research funding, supervision and training of students.
- Knowledge of good laboratory practice (GLP) and good clinical laboratory practice (GCLP).
- Knowledge of laboratory information systems and Microsoft Office.
- Exceptional organisational and administration skills.
- Able to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines.
- Assertive and confident.
- Good attention to details and sound interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Able to make independent decisions.
- Able to manage high volumes and flow of work.
- Self-motivated and pro-active (finger on the pulse) with a high regard for work ethic, values and integrity.
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 5 years management experience in an infectious disease research laboratory or clinical pathology laboratory.
- Senior Lecturer, Senior Researcher, Clinical Senior Lecturer or higher appointment with the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of the Witwatersrand would be advantageous.
- Publication track record.
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 16 April 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position