A Biotechnology Laboratory based in Pretoria is seeking a Plant Pathologist to identify diseases, pests, and other health problems a plant may experience.
- MSc preferable PhD in botany, horticulture, plant pathology or biology.
- 3-5 years proven scientific expertise and experience in plant pathology.
- Good understanding of export market requirements.
- Valid driver’s licence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform diagnostic work to identify plant pathogens using plant pathology and serological techniques.
- Use plant pathology and serological techniques to detect pathogens on seed for seed health tests.
- Maintain hygiene standards in the laboratory and pathology greenhouses.
- Tissue sampling and other routine tasks associated with experiments.
- Mechanical inoculation of virus, bacteria, fungi, oomycete, nematode and other pathogens in field, greenhouse, and growth chambers.
- Bioassays with insects or vectors
- Perform routine data collection from a various sized research projects and entry into enterprise systems.
- Prepare clear, accurate, and concise reports of results, and communicate to customer or colleague stakeholders.
- Perform complex molecular lab work.
- Perform complex data analysis using parametric and non-parametric statistical models.
- Lead a cross-functional team in innovating, developing, and enabling new phenotyping, diagnostic, and other assays for existing and new problems.
- Network internally to innovate and enable new tests.
- Network externally to assess state of the art and evaluate new research opportunities.
- Propose and lead external collaborations directed toward goals.
- Ability to innovate to design and implement new screening methods & platforms for existing or emerging diseases.
- Review literature and stay up to date on latest technologies
Submissions for this vacancy will close on 30 April 2021, however you will still have the opportunity to submit your CV for this position till 7 May 2021.
Thank you for submitting your CV to Marvel Placement Consultants. We value your submission, and we try our utmost best to get back to each applicant. However, should your application be successful, we will be in contact with you. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of application, please consider your application as unsuccessful. We are however recruitment specialists and will keep your details on our database for possible future opportunities.
Please note that Marvel Placement Consultants adhere to the POPI Act (Act No. 4 of 2013: Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013). Section 9 of PoPI states that “Personal Information may only be processed if, given the purpose for which it is processed, it is adequate, relevant and not excessive”.