A Medical Technologist - Safety Lab (Two-year renewable contract based on performance) vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium's Clinical Laboratory Services (Wits CLS) in Braamfontein, Johannesburg - Gauteng.
The Clinical Laboratory Services (CLS), is a division of the Wits Health Consortium (WHC) of the School of Pathology. CLS’s main purpose is to support the teaching and research activities of the School of Pathology through the provision of laboratory services, diagnostic and research advice, and data management support in accordance with the standards of Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP).
CLS is an accredited laboratory and has a comprehensive quality management plan to ensure adherence to GCLP and its accreditation standards ensuring the integrity of clinical laboratory for clinical trial study participant care. CLS has achieved ongoing certifications for SANAS (South African National Accreditation System) ISO 15189 and GCLP Accreditation through the British Qualogy Group and is also inspected by the Division of AIDS (DAIDS) annually.
Main purpose of the job
- To analyze, interpret and produce participant results from human specimens and to implement and maintain the quality management system for the laboratory
- Spencer Lister Building, NHLS Complex, Braamfontein
Key performance areas
Analyze, interpret, and produce participant results
- Receive labeled and captured samples from Data Capturer
- Check and verify that details on tubes and labels correspond
- Check the suitability of samples to be analyzed – no clots, not haemolysed
- Perform instrument and manual tests for Haematology
- Perform testing in Chemistry, Serology, and Molecular PCR
- Analyze and interpret the results
- Capture manual test results on a laboratory information system (MEDITECH)
- Print the test results and correlate data with the MEDITECH system
Quality assurance and control
- Monitor professional body registrations and CPD
- Perform internal and external quality control in conjunction with colleagues
- Perform internal audits
- Report all non-conformances within the QMS to management
- Conform to accreditation requirements
- Conduct maintenance and calibration of equipment
- Review and implement changes to SOPs in order to ensure the laboratory is constantly able to provide high quality, cost-effective and correct results
- Monitor and control stock levels and advise if goods have to be ordered
- Monitor and control workflows and turnaround times
- Perform relevant administration i.e. filing, copying, emailing, etc.
- Report any quality control issues to laboratory management
- Demonstrate cost consciousness and assists in meeting budgetary targets
- Monitor equipment calibration and maintenance to ensure accurate and reliable results
- Assist with training on new SOP’s
Receiving and processing of samples (When required)
- Assist in receiving when necessary, verify if the information on the sample is as the laboratory requisition form
- Decide following the SOP whether specimens are suitable for analysis and processing
- Analysis of specimen
Required minimum education and training
- National Diploma in Medical Technology or equivalent
- Discipline-specific: Clinical Pathology
Professional body registration
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as a medical technologist in the listed disciplines
Desirable additional education, work experience, and personal abilities
- Certification in good clinical laboratory practice (GCLP) and basic health and safety
- Attendance of CEU courses
- Exceptional organizational and administration skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office and laboratory systems (MediTech)
- Able to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines
- Working shifts is required
- Paid overtime may be required from time to time
- Operate in a pathology laboratory where health and safety must be applied at all times
- Exposure to hazardous and infectious samples
- Work in a pressurized environment in meeting turnaround times in high volumes
- Liaise and maintain effective working relationships with external laboratories, Clinicians, Couriers, Medical Representatives, equipment suppliers, and Technicians
Required minimum work experience
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV - Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 17 June 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.