Our client is looking for a highly skilled, motivated and dedicated individual who would like to be part of the team.
Purpose of the job:
Preparing patients for dental work. Helping with infection control by sterilizing and disinfecting instruments, setting up instrument trays, preparing materials, and assisting with dental procedures. Assisting dentists in managing medical and dental emergencies when necessary.
Key Responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge:
- Assist dentist with dental procedures, mixing materials, stock taking and ordering (knowing how to assist, knowing materials and how to work with them. Understanding the stock process and stock control).
- Sterilising of equipment and maintenance of Autoclave and preparation of distilled water.
- Daily cleaning of suction unit and filter and draining compressor. Daily switching on and off the compressor and suction and arrange for service and repairs.
- Liaising with the dental lab for collections and deliveries of lab work.
- Checking benefits and preparing quotes for dentures and crowns and working out co-payments, and ordering medication as well as arranging payments with patients.
- Ability to work under pressure, accomplish certain task, in a certain amount of time with the highest quality possible.
- Monthly statistics and daily billing.
- Checking of specialist dental benefits and if patient is still active.
- To know how to work according to a budget by buying consumables for dental.
- Confirm benefits for specialised dentistry, dentures, hospital dentistry and specialist benefits.
- Get/give banking details/purchase order requests for co-payments above benefit limits.
- Obtain pre-authorisation for Pride/Diversity Members dental procedures, where necessary.
- Help update the protocols of dental where needed.
- Report any maintenance problems or health risk problems to the Centre Manager.
- Ordering of dental stock, the correct processes and follow ups with invoices.
- Providing the manager with monthly invoices record for dental orders and lab work completed.
- Assisting in reception when the dentist is on sick leave or leave or receptionist is on lunch.
- Booking of specialist’s appointments and obtaining authorisation.
- Booking of dental theatre/sedations and anesthetists and obtaining authorisation and sending SMS reminders to the patients.
- To implement paperless approach in dental.
- Effective communication with the patients and health team, In a positive verbal and non-verbal manner.
- Always be friendly, positive and perform dental assisting duties to the best of your ability with highest level of quality and care to the patients and colleagues and know and understand dental etiquette.
- Motivating and supporting fellow employees within own team and in other teams.
- Always work toward the success of the company as a whole .
- To always honor the values of the company. Respect, integrity, service, Fairness and transparency to all patients and co-workers.
- Assisting other teams and co-workers wherever possible.
- Only performing clinical functions within the scope of practice of a dental assistant.
- Ensuring that qualifications and registrations with appropriate bodies and councils are up to date (provide proof of qualification and registrations).
- Complying with protocols and procedures relating to waste disposal, medicines emergency equipment, confidentiality and POPI Act etc.
- Reporting any inappropriate behaviour or misconduct to the Centre Manager or Fund Manager.
- Ensuring that all hygiene and infection controlee protocols are upheld as well as liasing with Compass.
- Comply with protocol for specialized dentistry and dentures.
- Compliance with scheme rules when assisting members and providing primary care.
- Ensure that the dental equipment is properly maintained.
- Taking part in health campaigns and promotions.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks after closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Grade 12
- A National or Higher Certificate/Diploma in Dental Assisting from a University of Technology related to the registration of Dental Assistants
- Must be registered with the Health Professions Council South Africa (valid membership)
- Computer literacy (MS Office package)
- At least two years practical experience as a Dental Assistant in a dental practice or clinic
- Knowledge of dental codes and procedures
- Ability to do dental reception/administration
- Customer care skills
- Excellent communication skills both written, verbal and telephonic
- Strong administration skills
- Attention to detail
- Time management skills and diligence
- Punctuality and time consciousness
- Must be able to work under pressure and use own initiative