A Private Hospital based in Cape Town is seeking to employ an Infection Control Coordinator Registered Nurse
The primary function of the successful candidate is to aid and assist hospital employees in the management of prevention, identification and control of infections in patients and staff as well as be responsible to plan, develop and implement an Infection Control Programme for the hospital using basic infection control standards.
Key work output an accountabilities :
- Aid and assist all hospital employees in managing the prevention, identification and control of infections in patients and staff
- Plan, develop and implement an Infection Control Programme for the hospital using basic infection control standards
- Responsible to the hospital management for reporting on a regular basis all infections in the hospital
- Review of environmental hygiene, cleanliness, the care of linen and waste on a regular basis and document results for discussion with hospital management.
- Notify the Department of Health timeously of diseases where applicable
- Ensure an environment safe from infection for all hospital staff
- Organize regular infection control committee meetings and document the proceedings
- Plan and implement the procedure used to identify and investigate an outbreak of infection (either community or hospital acquired) using accepted infection control standards
- Implement, when needed, isolation protocols that are effective and understandable to all hospital personnel
- Maintain an up to date infection control file that is available and accessible to all nursing and house-keeping staff
- Maintain written and acceptable protocols for infectious diseases including VHF, SARS, Meningitis
- To make available all equipment needed for infectious diseases
- Revise all policies, procedures and standards regularly
- Ensure the provision of protective clothing for all staff and members of the public when needed
- Supply appropriate and reliable disinfectants, sterilant and monitoring equipment and ensure that nursing and other staff understand the use of these items
- Ensure that there is a written quality insurance programme for infection control after a base line survey and that evaluation and remedial measure are in place
- Actively participate as a member of a team to achieve goals.
- Include infection control as a topic in the hospital orientation programme at all levels and document attendance of training
- Include infection control in in-service training programme based on a needs analysis and evaluate the training regularly
- Ensure all nursing staff are familiar with the needle stick injury policy
- Introduce a programme for the use of new products and equipment from an infection control viewpoint.
- Investigate and monitor all injuries on duty claims
- Administer hepatitis B immunization to all exposure prone employees according to policy
- Active involvement in own professional development to maintain a satisfactory level of skill and knowledge
- Keep up to date with the organizations evolving policies and procedures
- Attend infection control related seminars to improve own knowledge
- Work effectively and co-operatively with others to establish and maintain good working relationships that are mutually beneficial.
- Develop collaborative relationships to help accomplish work goal
Skills and education requirements:
- Registration with the South African Nursing Council as a registered Nurse or equivalent NQF level 7 qualification
- Compliance with the SANC Scope of Practice for a Registered Nurse and all other applicable Health Care Legislation
- 1-2 years’ experience
Should you be interested in applying, please email a detailed CV with copies of the relevant documentation to email@example.com or contact Gary on 0110261907
By applying for this position and providing us with your CV and other personal information, you are consenting to the information being used for the specific purpose for which it was provided, which is recruitment purposes only and this will be done in accordance with the applicable data protection
and privacy legislation. We confirm that such information will not be used for any other purpose without obtaining your prior consent.
If your application is not successful, we retain your CV and other information provided on our electronic system. If you object to your information being used in accordance with the aforementioned clauses, please indicate your objection and we will immediately destroy your personal information in a secure manner