Project Engineer • Mechanical
Salary: Market Related
Our client is the only manufacturer of float glass in South Africa and is situated in Springs, Gauteng. And a challenging position exists in the Engineering Department for a Project Engineer (Mechanical).
Key Accountabilities and Attributes:
• Primary function is to execute projects as identified and required by the user/production:
• Project initiation Processes include: feasibility studies, writing specifications, justifications, Capital expenditure and extra ordinary expenditure approvals,
• Designing, problem identification and creative problem solving skills are required.
• Issue and adjudicate tender documents,
• Facilitate equipment selection, get quotes and liaise with contractors and suppliers
• Draw up budgets and project plans.
• Compile and manage contracts (FIDIC, JBC, NEC).
• Contractors to be managed to ensure work is executed safe and in accordance with the requirements of the OHS-act.
• Ensure contracts and projects are executed on time and in budget.
• Ensure that relevant notifications, applications and communication procedures are followed to all relevant internal and external departments and as required by Law and local By-laws.
• Compile quality control and quality assurance procedures and ensure they are followed. These to include project risk assessments.
• Run project and contractor co-ordination meetings.
• Proper commissioning and acceptance procedures to be implemented.
• Ensure project documents, drawings and COC• s are signed off and filed, training is done and equipment is handed over to the operations with SOP• s, risk assessments and any other relevant documents such as MSDS• s.
• Ensure that maintenance requirements and procedures are entered into the PM system and• scheduled for execution. Ensure that required spares are in stock.
• Generate monthly reports on all areas of responsibility.
Plant Maintenance functions and operational functions:
• Site maintenance responsibilities that fall under the project department include:
o• Buildings, roofing, floors,
o• Roads, storm water,
o• Externals services such as water supply, sewage, natural gas supply
o• Power supply and lighting.
• Do regular inspections and ensure PM-schedules are in place, executed and optimised.
• Assist the maintenance department with maintenance work during shutdowns, breakups, where major repairs are done or are required from time to time.
• Conduct research to solve practical engineering problems and to improve efficiency.
• Do standby as required.
• Provide support to the business• to ensure that plant operations meet environmental and safety protocols in a cost-effective manner
• BSc Degree in Engineering (Mechanical)
• A Government Certificate of Competency is optional but candidate must be working towards obtaining it.
• At least 2 to 4 years• experience in a continuous process operation, preferably a glass making environment.
• Be an aspiring manager and be able to lead and motivate people.
• Should be a skilled project manager, know project execution principles, and be able to plan multiple contractors and activities.
• Be able to work with contractors.
• Have experience in implementing and ensuring OHS-Act requirements are adhered to.
• Should have some experience with hands-on maintenance of machinery in a production environment.
• Have a working knowledge of civil, electrical and control engineering.
• Demonstrate a high level of problem solving skills.