Our client, one of Africa's largest investor in their industry, currents seeks a Legal and Compliance Head to:
- Provide legal solutions to complex legal and business challenges in order to mitigate against legal risk to the organisation.
- Manage the compliance function of the organisation by establishing policies and practices to ensure overall legal and regulatory compliance within a financial services environment.
- Provide guidance and direction in all contractual matters effecting the organization.
Minimum Job Requirements (Essential):
- Admitted Attorney.
- 5 to 8 years related experience post admission, with a preference for financial services exp.
- A broad understanding of the financial services industry.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, including POPI, FAIS, FICA, KYC, RICA, etc.
- Specialist industry expertise.
- Proven experience and knowledge in the negotiation and drafting of contracts and agreements.
Key Performance Areas:
Negotiate Contracts and Agreements:
- Draft and review legal agreements, including SLA's and other legal documents.
- Draft, review/update and re-negotiate legal agreements and other legal documentation to adequately manage legal risks.
Provide Legal Advice:
- Deliver exceptional service that exceeds customers’ expectations through proactive, innovative and appropriate solutions.
- Maintain expert knowledge on relevant legislation industry best practices and provision of proactive advice and solutions to relevant stakeholders.
- Provide timeous, professional advice and solutions in respect of legal matters to persons within the company, on request or initiated, resulting in business sustainability and risk mitigation.
- Provide advice on business practices and policies in order to ensure legal compliance and protect the organisation from legal action.
- Cultivate and manage objective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including attorneys, industry bodies, etc., to ensure business is in the position to obtain expert opinion on specialist areas of law.
- Research and provide legal opinion on a variety of issues and new business projects within the business to proactively identify, assess and manage legal risk.
- Maintain a constantly updated repository of advice that has been requested and given within the company, including updates relating to legislation.
- Benchmark current practices against the group risk management framework and adjust practices as and when necessary.
- Actively monitor changes in law, regulations, technology and relevant industry practices and ensure appropriate interventions are defined.
Manage Legal Risk:
- Identify and communicate current and anticipated legal and/or financial risks with a legal implication.
- Monitor, analyse and evaluate the impact and legal implications of developments in the financial services industry and related areas. Pro-actively recommend effective courses of action so that either a stance may be adopted or potential risks may be averted by the company.
- Identify, report and mitigate legal risk at a product, process and/or divisional level within the group.
- Implement, benchmark and improve all business processes in the designated area of responsibility.
- Monitor relevance of legal documentation to ensure consistency across business, identify risks and maintain legal standards.
- Deal with litigation matters involving the business to manage legal risk and liaise with Ombudsman when necessary. Proactively resolve dispute to avoid litigation and ombudsman referrals.
- Manage the relationship with the organisation’s insurers.
- Assess the adequacy of insurance cover on an ongoing basis.
- Make recommendations on efficiency opportunities.
- Timely decision making.
- Strategic agility.
- Customer focussed.
- Problem solving.
- Presentation skills.
- Communication skills.
- Innovation skills.