Our client, a software development company based in Stellenbosch is looking an enthusiastic individual with strong communication and troubleshooting skills to join their team to provide Operations / DevOps Support.
The primary function of this role is to ensure that our entire system runs smoothly each day. You will work closely with 1st line support in responding to issues or interruptions and you will also work our team of developers and IT staff. You need to be passionate about computers and software and have a good eye for detail and strong problem solving and analytical skills and general curiosity.
Some of the functions you will perform include:
- Monitoring alert channels (SMS, Telegram, email, and phone) to resolve issues
- Proactively check on system health (e.g., server CPU utilisation, memory, RAID arrays, etc.)
- Monitor network and bandwidth utilisation
- Keep a record of recurring issues to raise with development team for permanent resolution
- Perform scheduled checks of certain automated tasks, e.g., database backups, script execution, etc. to ensure all is working correctly
- Perform daily start up functions and checks
- Attempt to resolve issues and escalate issues that you are unable to resolve to the development team
- Document procedures
- Create reports
- Streamline or improve processes where possible
- Speak to external clients to assist with issues
- Test software
- Assist developers with software profiling and ad hoc reports
- Matric certificate, computer courses advantageous
- A passion for all things computer related
- Friendly and good attitude, always looking to help both internally and external clients
- Analytical – you will need to look at logs and find errors and notice behaviour that is out of the ordinary
- Organisational skills – you need to manage yourself and prioritise
- Communication – you need to be fluent in English and Afrikaans and you need to be comfortable communicating with internal staff and external clients via phone and email
- Troubleshooting and problem solving, you need to persist in attempting to solve problems and work out steps in troubleshooting issues
- Multitasking, you may be working on multiple items at once
- Basic knowledge of MS SQL Server and stored procedures
- Virtual machines
- Networking knowledge (firewalls, VPN, fibre, VoIP, etc.)
- Grafana / Prometheus
- Kibana / Elasticsearch / ELK Stack
The position is contract with the possibility of a permanent position if the position is warranted.
Salary will be according to candidate's level of experience.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not hear from us after 30 days you may consider your application unsuccessful
- In keeping with our client’s employment equity requirements, only South African citizens will be considered.
- Please include your current salary and salary expectations.