As a Test Automation Engineer you will design automation tests, this include develop automation scripts and finding solutions for automation problems. To be successful as a Test Automation Engineer, one should be exceptionally accurate, possess a superior mathematical aptitude and be proficient in programming languages.
Primary Responsibilities for the Role
- Designing and writing test automation scripts
- Design and write test automation scripts.
- Use test automation frameworks.
- Identify defects in software as a result of testing.
- Investigate the cause of defects identified through testing.
- Work with software developers to identify bugs in software and suggest solutions.
- Quality assurance of software developed
- Review requirement definitions, specifications and manuals to ensure quality of software and tests to be developed; i.e., perform manual static testing.
- Select and develop appropriate test automation tools.
- Use risk-driven techniques to develop, maintain, and execute automated test suites.
- Work with the development team to capture and reuse automated unit test cases, test stubs and drivers, and other development test objects.
- Recognise the quality implications of known bugs and the impact of proposed changes on the testing process.
- Work with the release engineers to create and maintain an automated build verification (“smoke”) test.
- Ensure proper version control and configuration management of all test objects developed and test environments used.
- Use diagnostic tools/techniques to identify the root cause of software failures, asking pertinent questions and obtaining answers where possible.
- Perform trouble shooting and effectively resolve issues to increase solution stability and reduce intervention required over time.
- Recommend improvements to software.
- Provide resolutions to app/system issues, driving stability, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Results Tracking and Reporting
- Document bug reports upon discovery of a quality problem.
- Update test execution status on the outcome of test iterations.
- Trace test cases and results back to specific quality risks.
- Assist in the creation of test status reports and metrics (e.g., Test Dashboard).
- Mentorship / Training
- Provide mentorship and guidance to internal staff on technical and system processes.
- Internal training
- Ability to mentor and assist others, and to lead internal training sessions
- Mentor junior resources on specialised knowledge, sharing of novel solutions reached.
Qualification and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, software development, or a related field.
- Previous experience as a Test Automation Engineer.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as SQL, Python and Java.
- Excellent mathematical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly accurate and detail-oriented.
- Personal Attributes and Qualities
- Mature individual with high level of emotional intelligence.
- Ability/capacity to be aware of, control, and express emotions.
- Handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
- Demonstrate positivity, mental toughness and stability during stressful periods and periods of low activity.
- Flexibility – adapt to new concepts and ideas, ability to collaborate.
- Resilience – demonstrate ability to move forward despite setbacks.
- Endurance – consistently deliver at peak performance over the long term.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to motivate others.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Admit to errors and takes corrective action to avoid repetition.
- Approach own work with dedication and high sense of responsibility.
- Identify, analyse, organize, and solve problems and issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Anticipate problems, identify root causes, and take corrective action.
- Take caution in preparing the details relevant to the process.
- Follow process to ensure high quality output.
- Set and achieve goals, consistently complies with quality standards, and meets deadlines.
In accordance with Adapt IT’s Employment Equity plans and goals, preference will be given to suitable applicants from the designated groups as defined by the Employment Equity Act of 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.