The Digital Platform Tech Lead is a Senior Technical Lead who is responsible for a set of Digital Online Platforms. This role owns the architectural and design decisions for the team / squad. The Senior Tech Lead (STL) is an executor and the visionary force behind the technical solution. The TL values simplicity and is unafraid to challenge technical constraints and procedures to achieve an Agile design. The STL works closely with all team members to create a modular, scalable solution that addresses/incorporates future architectural changes and designs. The STL will drive the teams’ engineering practices in test driven development, continuous integration, and automated deployment. The STL is a hands-on team member who actively coaches the team to solve complex problems.
Key Performance Areas: Core, essential responsibilities / outputs of the position (KPA's)
- Responsible for the overall technological design authority of the Online Platforms with the help of the team/squad.
- Guide project teams on technology strategy related to coding practices, continuous integration, and automated deployment.
- Responsible for the technical design of the platform.
- Be hands on and engage in coding to help the team to develop the solution and solve all surfacing problems at hand Identifies and removes technical impediments.
- Constantly look for better ways of solving technical problems and designing the solution, not afraid of challenging the status quo.
- Provide the team a roadmap for implementing software engineering practices for higher code quality.
- Share responsibility with other technical leads for building reusable and scalable components.
- Assist in providing input to the Digital Channels and Services strategy, including the client’s Omni-channel digital strategy.
- Assist in Identifying key changes to digital systems in the future from technological, commercial, business and consumer behaviour perspectives.
- Work closely with Tech Leads and developers of various teams to assess existing problems and to come up with process improvement solutions.
- Detect upcoming bottlenecks and production issues proactively and consult teams hands-on towards improved technical solutions.
- Thought partner with the other technical leads in story creation and acceptance criteria and communicate trade-offs effectively with Designers.
Planning & Delivery
- Participate in planning delivery time, code quality, and process efficiency improvement projects.
- Execute on plan by building coding standardization and automating processes for the organization.
- Perform daily tasks such as environmental health checks, disk space monitoring, and environmental status reports.
- Interface with internal and external industry experts to anticipate customer needs and facilitate solutions development.
- Collaborate across functional teams within the broader team to enable the development of solutions necessary to drive the desired business outcomes for customers.
- Survey developers and technical members of the organization to understand their main pain points in the coding and development process.
Governance and Risk Management
- Ensure compliance of all digital systems with all regulatory, commercial, and business requirements (e.g., Security and integrity of banking systems)
- Develop and manage the implementation of functional policies, standard operating procedures and best practices that ensure operational efficiency, accuracy, security, integrity and compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Manage partners and ensure all contracts are managed in line with procurement policies and standards, to drive compliance to set processes and procedures.
- Ensure system documentation is sufficiently detailed and up to date to ensure business continuity and prevent over-reliance on a few individuals.
People Leadership and Organisational Capability Building
- Hold indirect reports accountable for the achievement of business plans and take corrective actions where necessary to ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Instil the Cloud engineering domain knowledge within the technical support team.
- Coach and mentor junior team members
- Act as an ambassador and role model for the Technology by living the brand values and vital behaviours.
- Make environment the best place to work.
- Improve the employee engagement through the GCA/Sentimeter.
- Participate in the attraction, development and retention of Planning and Engineering talent.
- Assist in ensuring a culture of continuous evaluation and improvement.
- Drive a culture of high performance, accountability, and consequence management.
- Supporting the head with digital systems expenditures in line with agreed budgets.
- Support in obtaining approval for digital systems equipment configurations to be ordered from suppliers including cost control and full life-cycle costing.
- Support the head in identifying and eliminating non-contributory expenditures.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience and Competencies)
- Sc. Computer Science or BEng (Electronic)
- Minimum of 5-8 years’ experience in area of specialisation.
- Experience in Continuous Integration/Delivery.
- Proficient in development languages.
- Proficient in Mobile Application development.
- Experience working in a medium to large organization.
- Seasoned developer or technical lead with deep insight into newest technologies.
- and trends, Java/JVM, and nice to have experience with functional programming (Scala).
- Experience in developing and scaling high-quality eCommerce tech platforms in cross-functional product teams.
- Experience in Agile Development, with specific Solution Architect (or similar) experience preferred.
- Experience managing technical priorities within the Backlog.
- Seen as an expert within the technical components of the applications / domains / products / journeys.
- Can make architecture decisions at a team, application, and product level.
- Deep tech knowledge around platform architecture, front-end and back-end frameworks and cloud; experience in coaching teams.
- Understands relationship with Product Owner, Scrum Master, Design Lead, and rest of technical team.
- Strong communication skills with ability to align the organization on complex technical decisions.
- Active coach and mentor whose goals are to grow and maximize the team’s potential
- High energy and passionate individual who inspires teammates to reach their maximum potential.
- Excited about trying new solutions outside standard approved.
- Embraces a culture of trust, free thought complete transparency.
- Brave and rebellious, willing to challenge status quo.
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate complex technical concepts and align organization on decisions.
- Sound problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly process complex information and present it clearly and simply.
- Utilizes team collaboration to create innovative solutions efficiently.
- Head - Big Picture Focus (20).
- Conceptual Thinker - Executes tactical plans to achieve strategic requirements.
- Problem Solver - Has the mental agility to identify and solve relevant business challenges.
- Improvement Driver - Executes and identifies opportunities for commercial innovation and continuous improvement.
Heart – Emotionally Intelligent (30)
- Culture and Change Champion - Role models practice by living the client’s values and vital behaviours for others to follow.
- Supportive People Manager - Is self-aware and supports team capability development through opportunity creation for realising potential.
- Relationship Manager - Builds professional networks across teams through collaboration and co-operation.
Hands – Results Focused (40)
- Results Achiever - Produces sustainable business results.
- Operationally Astute - Sets priorities, plans, organises and co-ordinates the work of others.
- Complex Reasoning
- Customer Centricity
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Open Communication
- Realistic Thinking
- Risk Taking
- Sense of Purpose
- Socioemotional Intelligence
- Team Orientation
- Trust & Transparency
Collaboration (Formal and Informal Relationships)
- Build professional networks across teams through collaboration and co-operation.