We are a fast-growing web hosting company in Cape Town with an established customer base, recently acquired by recognized leaders in the Internet services industry. We have the vision and resources to be the market leader in SA in the next 5 years; this vision is supported by an entrepreneurial culture that encourages innovation, collaboration, and top performance.
We are looking for a Senior Linux Network Engineer to maintain our core network and ensure that it meets our wider business objectives. We mainly operate Cisco routers and switches with some extreme network switches. Familiarity with Cisco IOS is therefore essential however wider experience, including white-box switches and any network automation is welcome. We are looking for a Network Engineer who has worked on service provider (Data Centre) networks or encompasses an excellent understanding of networks using BGP and combinations of IGPs (OSPF/IS-IS/EIGRP, etc.). You will need to be hands-on in both designing, deploying, maintaining, and taking ownership of network monitoring. This job requires you to want to automate and/or standardize network configuration management. You will make use of open-source platforms and tools where possible.
- Design, deploy, support, and maintain core network for Internet hosting business and support functions (office, VPN, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of IT infrastructure, TCP/IP, networking and information system security principles, practices, and technologies.
- Research and analyze new network technologies as well as write proposals for upgrades of network infrastructure
- Good analytical skills with the ability to document and present highly technical information in a coherent and informative manner
- A passion for writing documentation and training other staff on operating platforms after they have been implemented
- Work with wider sysadmin team on integrating network functions into service offering (e.g. making virtual infrastructure links into IGP)
- Demonstrable; in-depth technical expertise within an ICT environment consisting of extensive hands-on support and management of
- Configure and install software, servers, routers, and other network devices
- Monitor network performance and integrity with appropriate escalation paths set up
- Third-tier support of network issues
- Automate network tasks and monitor their effectiveness; maintain technical documentation
- Coach, train, and mentor team members on networking topics
- Architecting, deploying, maintaining, and scaling platforms
- Create, oversee, and test network security measures
- Write and implement networking protocols company-wide and within department policies and procedures
- Suggest improvements to network performance, capacity, and scalability
- Participate in business continuity and disaster recovery infrastructure planning, building and testing
- Participate in the design, engineering, and delivery of IT projects
- Be part of and support the wider system administrator team
- A good understanding of databases, database design and optimization
- Experience with containerization
- Experience in automating with ansible other tools
- Experience in administering and automating highly available Linux-based platforms preferably in a virtualized environment
- Proven ability and interest in picking up new technologies quickly, leading evaluations and providing suggestions of key technologies to base future development around
- Great problem-solving ability, especially under pressure
- An ability to explain and articulate technical detail clearly to technical management and developers
- Experience with coding, ideally backend services in PHP, Python, reasonable understanding of web technologies
- Five or more years’ related experience as a Senior Network Engineer or Network Administrator
- Experience with Cisco IOS, Extreme XOS and other router/switch/firewall operating systems
- Strong Linux based system administration background (especially virtualization, containerization and cloud platforms)
- Understanding of switching services such as (but not limited to) STP, VLAN, QinQ, COS, UDLD, Switch Stacking, PagP, LACP and RSPAN.
- Based on your designs, deliver customer solutions to agreed timescales, quality, and budget operating with a high degree of technical autonomy and self-administered technical project management.
- Deep working knowledge of networking principles and technologies, ideally with specific experience of core MPLS technologies and associated infrastructure
- Knowledge of scripting languages (ideally Python/Bash)
- Professional certification is advantageous (e.g. CCNA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE or equivalent), however, industry experience is also considered
- Designing Service Provider networks utilizing BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, VRF, MPLS, etc.
- In-depth understanding of communication protocols with advanced knowledge of Layer 2 and Layer 3 technologies
- Experience of open-source log analysis, configuration management and monitoring tools (e.g. ELK, Graylog, Ansible, Rancid, Nagios, Icinga, etc.)
- Experience with network security
Our benefits are second to none — We look after our people!
- We look after your wellbeing and encourage a healthy lifestyle: We pay 100% of your medical aid (Discovery & Vitality) — so no deduction unless you want to add a beneficiary
- We think of your future: Retirement Annuity — up to 5% co-contribution