This role will be minimum 12 month fixed term contract, at 40 hours per week predominantly 8am- 5pm.
Our client partners with the world’s leading education institutions to transform physical limitations into digital opportunities. We create new opportunities for students to choose an aspirational online learning experience by offering fully-supported online high school programmes.
As a social enterprise, the Institute is also committed to levelling the playing field and increasing access for all students through free curriculum offerings, extensive scholarship programs and blended learning micro schools in underprivileged communities.
The Learning Designer role at the Institute is primarily responsible for curating, augmenting, creating, and quality assuring secondary school course content and assessments that are suitable for high-touch online delivery. The incumbent will play a vital role in ensuring that the development of content is relevant to the learning cohort, of high quality and; developed within the required timelines and the scope of the project. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Use subject specifications to ensure that content meets the required examination standards, and determine the adequacy or inadequacy of content.
- Conduct planning and analysis per subject area to recommend appropriate design solutions and strategies for online delivery.
- Analyse the characteristics of the Institute's learning management system (LMS) and emerging technologies and use the unique affordances of these technologies to make design decisions.
- Transfer textbook-based content into a richly augmented format that meets online delivery objectives.
- Develop educational content from scratch, making use of various sources, into a richly augmented format that meets online delivery objectives.
- Research and source appropriate reference materials for the development of courses.
- Work with subject matter experts and collaborate with production specialists to create targeted content in a wide variety of mediums to complement or support the curriculum.
- Design and create targeted continuous assessment strategies that support students in their progression towards their summative examinations.
- Work with project management and various operational stakeholders to ensure that deadlines are adhered to and that project communication takes place in a timely and effective manner.
- Work on evaluation strategies to review the effectiveness of a design strategy, and review content at set intervals as part of the Institute's approach to continuous improvement.
- Perform auxiliary tasks, including, but not limited to briefing in graphics, and tracking the use of external assets.
- Perform peer reviews across subjects and qualifications, where necessary.
- Contribute to department process improvements.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Education or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Senior Phase, or related experience in specific subject area
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- South African Council for Educators (SACE) registration
- Experience teaching International GCSE curriculum beneficial
- Experience with Oxford AQA curriculum beneficial
- Demonstrable experience as a Learning Designer, Instructional Designer, or Curriculum Developer
- Knowledge of digital learning principles and practices
Personal Skills & Attributes:
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, and build collaborative work relationships
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and to work in a team environment
- Good presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment and able to prioritise work appropriately
Voluntary savings Programme