Our client based in Port Elizabeth is seeking to employ a Group Legal and Compliance - Specialised Commercial Lawyer.
- Minimum of a Law degree such as LLB or BCom Law.
- Admission as an Attorney in South Africa.
- Minimum 5 years post qualification experience in commercial and corporate law.
- Experience in due diligence, legal research and contract drafting.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of corporate and commercial transactions (incl. M&A’s, Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Deal Structuring, Transactional Tax, etc.)
- Legal research skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Analytical skills and the ability to make sound judgement.
- Technology and software knowledge.
- Time management and organization.
- Verbal and written communication.
- Client development and customer service skills.
- High attention to detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing the group’s legal and compliance function.
- Consult and handle all corporate legal processes (e.g. mergers and acquisitions, contracts, compliance issues, transactions, agreements, lawsuits).
- Develop company policy and position on legal matters.
- Research, anticipate and guard company against legal risks.
- Guide managers and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Structure, draft and review reports and other legal documents.
- Represent company in legal proceedings (administrative boards, court trials etc.).
- Draft and administer all contracts.
- Negotiate business transactions.
- Consulting and handle all corporate legal processes.
Company Secretariat Duties:
The Act prescribes seven duties of the company secretary, these are not conclusive or exhaustive. In summary, they are:
- Update all investment companies legal files.
- Providing guidance to the directors regarding their duties, responsibilities, and powers.
- Making the directors aware of any laws relevant to or affecting the company.
- Reporting to the board any failures by the company or its directors relating to compliance with the Companies Act, regulations, the MOI, or rules of the company.
- Ensuring that all minutes of shareholder meetings, board and all committee meetings are properly recorded in accordance with the Companies Act.
- Ensuring that the company’s annual financial statements are sent to every person entitled to them.
Additional Duties will include:
- Convening meetings of directors and shareholders.
- Drafting the agenda.
- Compiling the Board pack.
- Drafting and issuing notices of meetings.
- Taking and drafting the minutes of the meetings.
- Maintaining the different minute books.
- Maintaining the safe custody of the company's MOI, incorporation documents and all agreements.
If you are not contacted within two weeks of applying, please consider your application unsuccessful.