Our client in the Financial Services Industry is looking for a Transactor with a good knowledge and experience in African trade finance, specifically in the Southern Africa regions, to join their team.
Our client is a privately-owned boutique merchant bank, providing corporate finance advisory, trade finance and asset finance solutions for businesses active in the high growth markets of sub-Saharan Africa.
Our client is African specialists and have a proven track-record of successfully managing funds for investing in both the private debt and public equity markets whilst completing many private equity and long-term debt deals in their advisory business over the years.
Our client provides bespoke, secured, and structured trade finance solutions for African focused trade.
- Our client’s focus is to produce better outcomes for their clients. To achieve this, they believe that how they work together is just as important as the technical content of what they do.
- They are an entrepreneurial business with a pioneering spirit, continuously figuring out better ways to meet their clients’ needs and how best to organise themselves to achieve this.
- They see their sector as constantly evolving and are not afraid to challenge conventional wisdom by creating new and innovative ways to solve old problems.
- They have a strong sense of their values and visions which stems from the founders of the company being actively involved in the day-to-day operations of the business.
- They believe that what they do makes a real difference to their clients and the African continent.
- They believe in strong and open collaboration between colleagues and challenge each other to provide open, constructive feedback which produces better business decisions.
- As a fast-growing boutique business their challenge is to deliver a superior service and a more dynamic offering to that of their larger and more established competitors. They do this by working collaboratively as a team and encouraging integrity, challenge and open debate amongst themselves and with their internal and external stakeholders.
- They embrace process, efficiency and creativity and demand excellence from each other in everything that they do.
Reporting to the Commercial Manager, the role of Transactor is a client facing position in their front office, involved in the origination of new clients and transactions into their business and includes the structuring and execution of those transactions through to closing.
They are a small team and an entrepreneurial business, so they require an individual who is proactive, forward thinking, and confident in front of clients and investors, but also hands-on from a day-to-day operational perspective.
- Generating new STCF business leads.
- Relationship management of new and existing clients.
- Engage with parties regarding possibility of doing new business (introducers, prospective clients, banks).
- Screen deals to ensure they fit the credit criteria and strategy.
- Structure transactions with applicable controls, interest rate, LTV, tenor, security, etc.
- Negotiation of term sheets to execution.
- Collection of all relevant supporting documentation (including KYC).
- Site visits of prospective client's offices and operational facilities in Africa and other international destinations.
- Compiling credit papers for new transactions.
- Presenting credit papers to credit committee.
- Preparation of indicative term sheets and offer letters.
- Review of facility documentation.
- Develop strategies and roadshows for establishing market presence with emphasis on broadening the geographic scope of the company.
Required Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in banking or related financial services in a trade finance role, incorporating vanilla and structured trade finance.
Specifically, the successful candidate will have:
- Knowledge and understanding of trade finance and STCF transactions.
- A professional qualification in Banking or International Trade Finance will be an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel extensively and to work flexible hours where required to achieve the company’s objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the client’s other business offerings.
- Experience in a banking / fund environment in a front office marketing role.
- Experience of client management, origination etc.
- Experience of dealing with / or in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Knowledge and experience of legal documentation in Trade Finance / STCF.
- Working knowledge of AML / KYC in Trade Finance.
- Understanding of various STCF structures including pre- and post-shipment, receivables, stock financing etc.
- Familiar with term sheets, offer letters and structuring and security in STCF transactions.
- Knowledge and understanding of the African and global banking regulatory and compliance environments.
- Solid experience of risk management covering operational risk, compliance, credit risk, sovereign risk, and market risk.
- An entrepreneurial can-do attitude.
Salary: Market related.
Location: Stellenbosch area.
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Please apply directly on the recruitment platform if you meet the above-mentioned requirements.
Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks’ time, please consider your application unsuccessful.