Our client, a mining company in the Stellenbosch area, is looking for a Senior Specialist – Data Engineering – to join their team.
Ready to leverage your technical expertise and communication skills to shape a data driven culture? Here is the opportunity for you to make an impact!
Our client is looking for a technical professional who has a strong affinity for quantitative data and creative problem-solving skills. You live and breathe data, and you have experience in building a strong digital foundation to ensure that good data governance and security is in place. Additionally, you get excited about collaborating with various teams to identify and implement data solutions to further shape a data-driven culture and adopt a data-driven approach in their work and processes.
You will be responsible for a wide range of high value creation activities across the business, and you will work closely with operational and functional teams to implement data solutions with a focus on the development of a central data platform.
You will also be responsible for the design and development of a data integration framework that supports the flow of data from edge endpoints (e.g., mining equipment), corporate solutions (e.g., ERP) and 3rd party data sources (e.g., geological surveys). You will be integral in the ensuring that our client has a strong digital foundation including building out the capability, implementing data governance practices, improving data quality, managing master data, and ensuring the security of all data assets.
Here is what you will be doing:
- Be a role model to the team and foster a team-oriented culture that promotes an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility, sustainable development, and operational excellence.
- Demonstrated commitment to our client’s values.
- Drive results and efficiency through good decision-making, action and change management, and strong people management.
- Develop and document logical and physical data models based on requirements gathered by a deep understanding of the business problem being solved.
- Participate in requirements gathering sessions and stakeholder interviews and work with Business / Project Analysts to translate business requirements into appropriate integration and persistence solutions in support of Data Science products.
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, automating, monitoring, maintaining, and updating data integration and ingestion processes.
- Maintain and develop extraction programs on source systems, data ingestion solutions, data transformation and data cleansing functions.
- Develop, implement, and maintain the company’s data principles.
- Develop a company reference architecture for data integration and the related technology stack.
- Develop, maintain, and implement reusable data integration components across the technology landscape including IOT, on-premises and Cloud.
- Participate and contribute to uplifting the digital culture at the company through its Data Citizen activities.
- Responsible for data governance, implementing data quality procedures, master data management and the security of data assets at our client.
- Actively take part in the company’s data science lifecycle, playing a key role in productionizing data science and machine learning models.
Ideally, you will have:
Education & Experience:
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering or Computer Science.
- Mining experience, especially base metals, would be beneficial.
- Experience in cloud technologies essential, with experience in Azure especially beneficial.
- 5 to 7 years’ industry experience.
- In depth infrastructure knowledge and operational experience.
- Minimum of 2 years' hands-on experience on Data Engineering within a reputable team.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Expert level knowledge and experience in data movement and data cleansing.
- Comfortable manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources.
- Experience in operationalizing machine learning models.
- Strong experience using SQL and related technologies (SQL Server, Postgres etc.)
- Technical knowledge of Business Intelligence tools, data warehousing, big data, reporting and analytics.
- Solid understanding of both relational and dimensional data models.
- Previous experience with tools and languages like Nifi, Node-RED, Python, Storm, Prefect, and / or Sqoop.
- Expert knowledge on how to ingest and transform large volumes of complex industrial data into Azure, Cloudera, Hortonworks, etc. and making it available in a highly performant persistence layer.
- Experience using the Microsoft Power Platform.
- Experience ingesting data from ERP systems, with Microsoft D365 experience specifically beneficial.
- Knowledge of operational historians (OSIsoft PI, Siemens etc.) would be strongly regarded.
- Knowledge of IT / OT environments and experience with OPC servers would be beneficial.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated agility, resilience, and self-motivation.
- Displays skills of critical thinking, analysis, problem solving, reasoning, and critiquing.
- Strong business acumen.
- Fosters knowledge sharing and cross-team collaboration within the organization.
Location: Stellenbosch area.
Salary: Market related.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Please apply online if you meet the requirements.
Please assume that your application was unsuccessful if you do not receive any feedback within 4 weeks.