Our client is a group of companies in the renewable energy industry situated in Claremont, Cape Town.
Our client is looking to appoint a Legal Counsel to assist the South African business with various legal, regulatory and compliance functions.
The Legal Counsel is an integral member of our client’s team and plays an active role in the development and implementation of business strategies.
This position will be based in Cape Town, South Africa, and will be responsible for managing the legal and compliance needs of the group of companies.
Working in a small, highly skilled team requires an individual with a high level of self-motivation and good interpersonal and team player skills.
- LLB Degree and admission as an Attorney. An LLM qualification will be advantageous.
- Post admission experience of 2 to 5 years.
- Experience in a legal practice or in-house legal department (post qualification) dealing primarily with general corporate and commercial work / drafting and vetting of a wide variety of contracts.
- Experience in structured and project finance, banking and finance and the renewable energy industry would be advantageous.
- Company secretarial experience.
- International experience would be an advantage.
- Transaction support for the project development and asset management teams.
- Liaison with lenders, shareholders, and various regulatory authorities on contractual matters.
- Drafting, reviewing, vetting, and interpreting a range of contracts for various entities within the group.
- Researching, interpreting, and advising on legal issues arising within the group and its various operations.
- Provide comprehensive legal support and advisory services to the group.
- Responsible for compliance by the group with South African Companies Act and all company secretarial (board and shareholder) coordination and management for all aspects of the group’s operations.
- Managing external legal counsel and legal costs.
- Co-ordinate preparation of board packs, preparation of meeting minutes, drafting and co-ordination of signature of board and shareholder resolutions.
- Managing and undertaking reporting and compliance functions for the group under various legislation and regulatory regimes. Developing and implementing regulatory, legal and governance policies throughout the group.
- Co-ordinate and assist in conducting various compliance assessments as well as environmental and regulatory license audits for all group companies, as required.
- Keeping abreast of new legislation and amendments to existing legislation; providing general legal support to entities in the group.
- Fluency in English (Afrikaans, French and Portuguese may be beneficial).
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of project finance transactions.
- Company Secretarial and governance experience.
- Broad knowledge of company legislation and regulations and legislation affecting the renewable energy industry, including REIPPP, IFC Performance Standards and Equator Principles would be a benefit.
- Good administrative skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel.
- Work independently and in a team.
This is a full-time position and is immediately available.
Market related salary offered (commensurate with experience).
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Please apply online if you meet the above-mentioned requirements.
Should you not hear from us within 4 weeks' time, please consider your application as unsuccessful.