AWS DevOps Engineer
We are continuing our AWS Cloud journey and need a suitably qualified/experienced person to guide, support and own this space in the BI Team and work with our outsourced partner as well as our Cloud Infrastructure Team. Some of the projects we are actively working on are:
- Information Portals
- Virtual Assistant (integrated with WhatsApp)
- Data Lake supporting Data Science/Analytics
Providing functional AWS DevOps support to execute and automate operational processes quickly, accurately and securely. Identifying production issues and implementing changes that meet stakeholders’ needs. Building tools to reduce occurrences of errors and improve overall customer experience. Performing project planning, development, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting and performance management.
Part of the Business Intelligence team. Expected to be an AWS Cloud developer, facilitator and evangelist, working with all various members of the BI, Architecture, Networks, Cloud and Infrastructure teams as well as key business stakeholders. Passionate about maintaining and developing Cloud-based solutions and processes to improve ways of working and utilisation of technology.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Programmatically create infrastructure in AWS by designing, developing and scaling infrastructure-as- code with Terraform.
- Ensure the systems are highly available and resilient.
- Enable the delivery of new code and infrastructure changes through Continuous Integration and Deployment Pipelines.
- Protect our customer data with continuous security practices and monitoring.
- Working with business stakeholders, BI team members and other IT Teams to define and implement strategic objectives.
- Guiding Business Intelligence architecture users on the journey towards Cloud-based solutions.
- Detailed knowledge of delivery life cycle associated with AWS Cloud-based solutions including but not limited to the key phases, core milestones, critical success factors, testing, typical challenges and mitigation strategies.
- Working with the architectural and solution delivery functions to establish detailed and achievable delivery plans within an Agile delivery framework.
- Able to work on simultaneous assignments/complex projects.
- Researching, evaluating and recommending new and better ways of doing things based on experience, technology and market trends.
- Working with business, technical, analytics, data science and third-party communities to define, entrench and evolve Cloud-based solutions while forging better ways of working.
- Evangelising and facilitating the entrenchment of Cloud-based solutions and knowledge sharing within and across technical and business communities.
- Supporting and growing team members.
- Define and document BI Cloud solution architecture including technical designs and diagrams.
- Document or update functional specifications for system developments and work with developers and data engineers on requirements.
- Provide first and second line incident support to the business by analysing and clarifying the issue and resolving issues within the agreed operational and service level agreement (OLA/SLA) and communicating effectively to business users and colleagues.
- Escalate issues timeously to the BI Support Team Lead and/or BI Technical Capability Lead for support when a solution is not forthcoming.
- Actively monitor processes (e.g. daily batch jobs in the system).
- Self-driven, curious, passionate, problem-solver (root causes), thorough, detailed, accurate, responsible/ accountable and a team player who absorbs pressure positively.
- Communication, social, relationship-building, influencing, documentation, analytical, consulting, training and presenting.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
AWS Certified Developer – Associate is required.
3 to 5 years’ experience in software engineering with a focus on serverless applications.
Proven experience of core AWS services and features:
AWS Lambda ● Amazon Athena ● AWS Step Function ● DynamoDB ● Amazon Cognito ● S3 Buckets ● Amazon API Gateway ● CloudWatch ● Redshift ● Amazon RDS ● IAM ● KMS
AWS DevOps Engineer – Professional’ or ‘AWS SysOps Administrator – Associate’ is advantageous.
Understanding of Retail is beneficial.
Knowledge of SAP and BW / Business Intelligence systems is helpful.