General Employment - Other General Employment
We have an exciting opportunity for an Executive Manager: Legal Services (5-year Fixed Term Contract) with 10 years’ experience within the legal field, plus 5 years at a senior management level. The successful candidate will be responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal Division and will provide legal and forensic support and advisory services to the organization in executing its functions as detailed in legislation and to manage legal and contractual risks.
- Bachelor of Law Degree or equivalent.
- Postgraduate qualification in management required
- At least 10 years post admission experience as an Attorney or Advocate of the High Court required Advanced Fraud Examination (ACFE SA) and/or Certified Fraud
- Examiner (CFE) will be an advantage
- A minimum of 10 years’ legal experience, with 5 years at a senior management level.
- More than 5 years in funding and/or regulatory environment will serve as an advantage
- Proven track record of building and leading a successful legal department
- Litigation and Contract Management Experience
- Risk Management and fraud investigations experience
- Understanding of the gaming and lottery sector will serve as an advantage
Competencies and Skills:
- Ability to interface between government, regulatory authorities, and gaming sector, the charities, sports, and education sectors
- Ability to integrate strategies and systems
- Corporate Governance policies and procedures implementation, review, and improvement
- High level of integrity, result orientation
- Meticulous, business minded individual with strong leadership abilities
- In-depth knowledge of the risk function risk policies, standards, and procedures
- In-depth knowledge of applicable legislation, regulations, and frameworks
- Knowledge of legal research methodologies and practices
- Knowledge of PFMA and treasury regulations related to public entities.
Key Performance Areas:
- To serves as the legal representative for the organisation (licence to operate, contractual arrangements, litigation, corporate transactions, intellectual property etc.)
- Ensuring that the organisation conforms to principles of Corporate Governance which include among others, effective Board functioning, accountability, transparency, honest reporting, responsibility, fairness, and ethical conduct and oversee the content of Legal and Forensic information disseminated externally
- Develop Debt Recovery strategic plan
- Provide a comprehensive legal service to deal with legal issues including legal advice, litigation, opinions, commercial and contract law, and other judicial processes.
- Analyse and identify legal and liability risks, implications and assist in the development of mitigating strategies.
- Collaborating with external legal service providers and counsel for litigation support
- Develop fraud, waste and abuse prevention strategy and guidelines
- Develop sound contract management strategies, policies, practices and systems to minimise the risks exposure; oversight and vetting of all legal contracts and obligations
- Provide support in ensuring that the organisation responds adequately, and complies with all regulatory and legal prescripts