Short Summary of the purpose of the role:
Processing of accounting records onto a computerised accounting system resulting in an accurate and complete set of books. Completing of annual financial statements of CC’s, trusts, sole proprietors and Body Corporates and working paper files. Calculation of taxation owing by business and individuals. Completion of statutory returns e.g. PAYE, UIF, SDL, VAT, Workman’s Compensation ect. Completion of annual IRP5’s and IRP501’s. Liasing with clients directly. Supervise and train junior and intermediate accountants.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Supervise and initiating the processing of client information cheques, receipts, sales invoices, purchase invoices
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Processing and reconciling of Petty Cash and cash control accounts
- Keeping of a fixed asset register
- General journals – e.g. depreciation, provisions, interest, salaries, stock, etc.
- Process journal entries e.g. new instalment sale agreements, interest on borrowings, provisions, accruals of income and expenses, bad debts ect.
- Distingiush between finance and operating leases.
- Foreign exchange transactions
- Reconcile debtors and creditors statements.
- Correct accounting treatment on disposal of assets (property, plant & equipment) and investments and the calculation of the taxation on capital gains/losses.
- Analyse the resulting trial balance for mistakes / deviations and be able to discuss the results with the client.
- Analytical review of AFS – GP%, Inventory days, Creditors days, Debtors days
- Ability to record books from insufficient records.
- Produce a draft set of financials according to generally accepted accounting practice and a working paper file according to the standards per the training file for sole proprietors, close corporations, trusts, partnerships, small business corporations, farmers and Body Corporates.
- Prepare the notes to financial statements
- Formulate accounting policies
- Identifying provisions and contingent liabilities
- Calculate the tax liability for sole proprietors, individuals, close corporations and trusts, small business corporations, farmers, Body corporates and partnerships.
- Calculate the taxation on lumpsum payments by retirement
- Tax planning – e.g. fringe benefits and allowances
- Tax avoidance / Non-resident tax
- Secondary tax on companies
- Perform vouching tests during an audit of (Pty) Ltd and Body Corporates to verify completeness, existence, accuracy, valuation, ownership and presentation.
- Calculation of PAYE/UIF/SDL/RSC levies and VAT.
- Completion of statutory returns e.g. UIF/SDL/PAYE/RSC/VAT.
- Liase with client re payment of the above returns.
- Preparations of payroll.
- Issuing of IRP5’s and IT3’s and reconciliation to IRP501 at year end.
- Reconciliations of input/output VAT to annual financial statements and monthly trial balances
- Compiling and discussing with the client of monthly management accounts.
- Complete a tax return for individuals, close corporations, trusts and body corporates.
- Recording and identifying short comings in internal controls
- Identifying risks and calculate materiality
- Statutory checks – member’s certificates, founding statements, association agreements etc.
- Pre-engagement procedures
- Acquisition of member’s interest / shareholding
- Review the monthly files of junior to intermediate accountants
- Completion and review of Management representation letters
- Qualifying the report of an Accounting Officer
- BCom degree with Accounting III, Auditing and taxation
- Technicon diploma with Accounting III, Auditing and taxation
- SAIPA Qualified
- 3rd year of CPA training
- More than 5 years of experience in an accounting practice