PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Debtors Supervisor will maximise the company’s cash inflows through efficient collection reduce the days outstanding to targeted levels and provide leadership to the debtors team.
Primary Responsibilities for the Role
Management of debtors team
- Supervise accounts receivable staff, set appropriate collection targets and monitor the achievement thereof
- Ensure that cash receipts are processed and allocated swiftly and in line with company policy
- Develop the debtor’s team by ensuring team members receive ongoing developmental input and performance feedback – this includes encouraging and recognising performance
- Contribute to the creation of a highly motivated, skilled team by identifying skills gaps and recommending and implementing formal and informal training interventions
Policies and procedures
- Explore application of credit application and credit vetting process for general trade receivables (in place on finance leases) and make appropriate recommendation to management.
- Comply with and adhere to guidelines in the groupwide debtors collections framework
- Identify and recommend opportunities for improvement in the debt collection process and instil a culture of continuous improvement in the debtors team
- Monitor cash collections, pro-actively identify problem accounts and recommend and implement appropriate interventions to limit bad debt
- Involve account managers as required to improve collections and to address and resolve disputes and queries
- Ensure swift action is taken with regards to change of ownerships and potential closing of customer stores – e.g. recovery of equipment, software and collection of outstanding debt.
- Manage and control the follow up on unpaid debit orders and payment promises.
- Institute ’pre-legal’ and legal collection processes when required.
- Liaise with attorneys to obtain timeous feedback on legal proceedings
- Control and maintain functions of CapiLink.
Maintenance of debtors database
- Ensure debtors database is maintained – e.g. correct customer contact details
- Consider requests for “Stop support” overrides and apply sound judgment in decision making
- Ensure the consistent use of ACCPAC AR to keep record and history of all customer account queries, commitments and communications.
- Provide weekly and monthly cashflow projections
- Prepare weekly credit management report
- Prepare monthly report on debtors over 90 days
- Compile a quarterly list of potential bad debts to be considered for specific provisioning
- Prepare a quarterly list of irrecoverable debtors and prepare/motivate a ‘write off’ list for board approval
- Prepare ad hoc reports as required
Cost management – Consider moving to one of the accountants with admin support
- Vodacom contracts
- Fuel cards
- Laptop management
- Insurance claims
Minimum Qualification and Experience Requirements
- Matric / Grade 12 / Equivalent
- Diploma in credit management
- Must have experience on ACCPAC (or similar). Sage X3 experience will be advantageous
- Must be able to reconcile debtor accounts and assist with customer queries.
- Must have full knowledge on how to effectively manage and control the debt collecting process.
- Must have knowledge and experience in the litigation process of debt recovery.
- Previous experience with customers in the hospitality industry will be an advantage.
- Prior supervisor or management experience – at least 2 years managing a team.
- Customer focus: Maintaining customer relations through excellent service
- Excellent Communication: Ability to communicate clearly and confidently
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Team Work: Able to lead and work as part of a team
- To be able to plan and prioritize
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.