Responsible for all aspects of the operations at the property through the coordination of the Division Managers and Head of Departments. The Host Manager carries the responsibility of being the ambassador for the property and the brand, providing leadership and supporting the service culture to result in maximum guest satisfaction while working very closely with the property owner(s) and other stakeholders.
QUALIFICATION: Applicable Tertiary Qualification
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the same or similar position in a 4/5 star hotel
Familiar with all duties and procedures of a Hotel
GENERIC COMPETENCIES: Communication; Interaction with Others; Personal Effectiveness; Cognition/Thinking; Management/Leadership
UNIQUE COMPETENCIES: Adaptability; Customer Focus; Initiating Action
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Displays exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counselling employees as appropriate and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
- Setting and implementing performance standards that will ensure absolute guest satisfaction.
- Maintain the Management of the staff reporting to the Host Manager with regards to Performance Management, Discipline, Coaching and Development.
- Ensure effective communication amongst all Departments in the Property.
- Ensure the efficient and productive running of the Hotel
- Ensure that all information cascaded down from Groups Support Services is shared with all the employees of the Hotel.
- Ensure that Groups Support Services is aware of incidents or changes on the property that might affect other parts of the Company or other Properties.
- Ensure that all stores are managed, classified, labelled, secured and packed as per the set standards.
- Continuous motivation of all staff to meet and exceed established guest expectations.
- Exceptional knowledge of the property including all room types, tourism attractions, the history of the property.
- Deals with any guest complaints within the property.
- Ensures that guests are greeted appropriately and that the stay of all guests are as per the set standards.
- The management of the duty rooms based at the property.
- Be familiar with guest staying at the hotel.
- Inform guests of current specials.
- Upsell F&B, accommodation and tourism services.
- Perform regular walkabouts of the property to ensure that all areas are up to set standards.
- Ensure that back-of-house and front-of-house areas are of the same standard.
- Manage roster policy according to operational requirements.
- Implement and maintain SOP’s throughout operations.
- Integrate kitchen and restaurant service to ensure efficient teamwork.
- Ensure productivity levels and standards are maintained.
- Managing of incident reports.
- Ensure websites are up to date.
- Ensure service level is of high quality, maintained and sustained.
- Ensure quality and concepts are implemented and maintained.
- No variations from the agreed standards on food presentation and quality from the Food consultant
- Establish standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Maintain dress code standards.
- Producing management reports as required.
- Schedule staff hours and assign duties for staff.
- Conduct performance appraisals.
- Progressive discipline in conjunction with HR.
- Understand your Hotel man plans.
- Ensure stock control system is in place.
- Sign all purchase orders.
- Monitor daily cash ups to avoid risk.
- Monitor daily variance reports and action shortages.
- Monitor daily void report and sign off all voids.
- Conduct audits as requested and implement property-specific strategies to ensure quality of operations.
- Ensures property specific legislative compliance through the management of the Division Managers and the Heads of Department.
- Evaluate public guest opinions through online portals such as Trip Advisor.
- Investigate all guest complaints for the department.
- Initiate programs, policies and procedure to mitigate the possibility of further complaints and with the focus on continuous improvement.
- Holding regular meetings with the Financial Manager, Division Managers and Heads of Department to ensure adherence to the property budget.
- Ensure that Purchase Order procedures are followed – quote, authorisation, delivery, and payment.
- Ensure that the Package Potentials and Headcounts within your Division are always within optimal levels to ensure maximum productivity within the budget.
- Reviewing of monthly income statements.
- Highlight any variances and provide explanations.
- Check signed Operational Asset Lists monthly
- Spot-check the stock takes of all departments in the Food and Beverage Division to ensure that proper procedures are being followed.
- Ensure that the correct Recruitment Process is followed for all new recruits within the property.
- To hold regular on-the-job training and coaching sessions to ensure that staff perform their duties effectively and efficiently.
- Conduct probationary and performance reviews timeously.
- Accurately complete HR Status forms and submit them before the deadline.
- Ensure that the dress code procedures for the property is in place and that the Heads of Department are keeping their employees neat and tidy.
- To ensure that fair and equitable discipline is applied.
- Manage your staff files.
As a Senior Manager of the Company, you will be expected to perform Duty Management Shifts, Night Shifts and stand in for other managers as and when required. You will be expected to be always available telephonically and always have access to read and respond to your emails.
The duties as per the above should not be read in isolation but may change as the policies, procedures and operational requirements of the business evolves.