As a Test Automation Engineer you will design automation tests, this include develop automation scripts and finding solutions for automation problems. To be successful as a Test Automation Engineer, one should be exceptionally accurate, possess a superior mathematical aptitude and be proficient in programming languages.
Primary Responsibilities for the Role
- Designing and writing test automation scripts
- Design and write test automation scripts.
- Use test automation frameworks.
- Identify defects in software as a result of testing.
- Investigate the cause of defects identified through testing.
- Work with software developers to identify bugs in software and suggest solutions.
- Quality assurance of software developed
- Review requirement definitions, specifications and manuals to ensure quality of software and tests to be developed; i.e., perform manual static testing.
- Select and develop appropriate test automation tools.
- Use risk-driven techniques to develop, maintain, and execute automated test suites.
- Work with the development team to capture and reuse automated unit test cases, test stubs and drivers, and other development test objects.
- Recognise the quality implications of known bugs and the impact of proposed changes on the testing process.
- Work with the release engineers to create and maintain an automated build verification (“smoke”) test.
- Ensure proper version control and configuration management of all test objects developed and test environments used.
- Use diagnostic tools/techniques to identify the root cause of software failures, asking pertinent questions and obtaining answers where possible.
- Perform trouble shooting and effectively resolve issues to increase solution stability and reduce intervention required over time.
- Recommend improvements to software.
- Provide resolutions to app/system issues, driving stability, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Results Tracking and Reporting
- Document bug reports upon discovery of a quality problem.
- Update test execution status on the outcome of test iterations.
- Trace test cases and results back to specific quality risks.
- Assist in the creation of test status reports and metrics (e.g., Test Dashboard).
- Mentorship / Training
- Provide mentorship and guidance to internal staff on technical and system processes.
- Internal training
- Ability to mentor and assist others, and to lead internal training sessions
- Mentor junior resources on specialised knowledge, sharing of novel solutions reached.
Qualification and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, software development, or a related field.
- Previous experience as a Test Automation Engineer.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as SQL, Python and Java.
- Excellent mathematical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly accurate and detail-oriented.
- Personal Attributes and Qualities
- Mature individual with high level of emotional intelligence.
- Ability/capacity to be aware of, control, and express emotions.
- Handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.
- Demonstrate positivity, mental toughness and stability during stressful periods and periods of low activity.
- Flexibility – adapt to new concepts and ideas, ability to collaborate.
- Resilience – demonstrate ability to move forward despite setbacks.
- Endurance – consistently deliver at peak performance over the long term.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to motivate others.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Admit to errors and takes corrective action to avoid repetition.
- Approach own work with dedication and high sense of responsibility.
- Identify, analyse, organize, and solve problems and issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Anticipate problems, identify root causes, and take corrective action.
- Take caution in preparing the details relevant to the process.
- Follow process to ensure high quality output.
- Set and achieve goals, consistently complies with quality standards, and meets deadlines.