The Senior Fund Accountant provides both operational and programmatic support to the Fund Accounting team. The Senior Fund Accountant provide technical support and training to the Fund Accountant/s. The Senior Fund Accountant reports to the Fund Accounting Manager and assists on all operational matters as they relate to the management of the Fund Accounting portfolio.
- Review and set-up of users online banking access.
- Checking and approving payments.
- Check that bank statements are updated and bank reconciliations done accurately and on time.
- Cashflow management of funds and forecasting of cash requirements in line with the funds policy/ies.
- Oversee and enhance the relationship with the fund/s bankers.
- Oversee and manage existing system controls and introduce new enhancements to streamline workflow and mitigate risk factors.
- Preparing and maintaining standard operating procedures.
- Development, implementation and management of effective financial controls.
- Preparation of fund accounts in line with the fund/s accounting policies and implementation of any changes.
- Ensure adherence to the Service Level Agreement (SLA) of the fund/s.
- Checking all monthly reconciliations (Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable). Ø Preparation and review of monthly working papers reating to ledger accounts (GL).
- Ensuring that all systems in the department are in a working condition.
- Liaising with fund managers, brokers, and custodians to communicate information and resolve issues on a timely basis.
- Monitor and control investment / disinvestment with the respective Investment Managers.
- Ensure accurate loading of daily unit prices.
- Ensuring Investments are balanced accurately (ALM).
- Planning and coordination of the audits to ensure the audit function is executed on a timely and efficient basis.
- Checking of audit files and working papers for submission to the Fund Accounting Manager.
- Preparation of the annual financial statements.
- Providing responses on audit requirements ensuring all audit issues are resolved, and all compliance issues are met.
- Implementing recommendations from the auditors.
- Electronic submission of financial statements to the FSCA.
- Preparation of member data pertaing to the the valuation of the fund/s.
- Liaising with the actuary for the timeous valuation of the fund/s.
- Implementing recommendations from the valuator.
- Provide oversight and play a leadership role in the Compliance Management function to ensure that:
- the company compliance framework and policies are properly embedded and implemented in the business.
- there is regular reporting on compliance breaches and progress on mitigation and management plans.
- administrative penalties as a result of compliance breaches are minimised.
- Manage the performance of Compliance operational activities within Salt EB to minimise compliance risk through adherence to policies, procedures, and guidelines and in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Working closely with the senior Management to ensure that all key risks are identified and are adequately communicated to the relevant business owners.
- Checking monthly management accounts and cashflow statements.
- Drafting of the annual budget for the fund/s and monthly tracking of the fund/s income and expenses against the budget.
- Provide relevant information for the preparation of fund/s board packs.
- Oversee the production of monthly management reports (internal).
- Ensure that monthly compliance reporting is accurate, of a high standard and properly reviewed (internal).
- Communicate to management with regard to any fraudulent activities and misrepresentation of information.
- Ensure adherence to customer and service provider SLA’s.
- Develop a high performing team by embedding formal performance development and informal coaching. Implement talent acquisition, engagement and recognition process in line with this.
- Assist administrators with accounting issues.
- Effective team management and coordination of financial activities at all levels.
- Headcount & Retention.
- Timekeeping - Managing teams leave and time keeping (RTW).
- Training & Development - Making sure all team members understand to adhere to processes.
- Succession planning.
- Innovation, Learning and Growth
- Ensuring that functions and processes are aligned within the department.
- Improving the internal controls to address any weaknesses that may arise.
- Prepare training manuals used in the fund accountant department.
- Authorising and co-ordinating staff leave.
- Preparing and assessing of staff KPA’s.
EDUCATION, LANGUAGE AND QUALIFICATION
- Com. Accounting Degree or similar qualification.
- Matric (Grade 12) certificate with Mathematics and Accounting.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIIENCE
- At least 5 years’ experience in Retirement funds.
- Evidence of managing a small – medium, but effective team.
- Computer Literate (Microsoft Office, Excel advance, Work).
- Everest knowledge required.
- Caseware knowledge will be an advantage.
- Good communication skill.
- Deadline driven.
- Leadership skills.