The Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for driving initiatives proactively leading to high service and platform availability, improved performance and customer experience, enhancing and optimizing monitoring coverage and working with cross-functional teams to proactively build and maintain more reliable services and platforms.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to:
- Design and implement an observability framework across infrastructure, application and services deployed that can be centrally configuration managed and be deployed to all environments.
- Instrumenting specific java methods or querying values stored in Java Objects for test validation or specific Business metrics.
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify, evaluate and establish initiatives for improvement to services or processes with the purpose of increased availability, improved service levels, reduced costs, and improved customer satisfaction by reducing the number of operational problems.
- Participate in various cross-functional forums and lead work streams to contribute to the improvement and implementation of policies, frameworks and standards.
- Responsible for driving initiatives regarding software automation and reliability.
- Develop and optimize monitoring framework based on industry best practices by developing metrics (SLI`s), monitoring, and alerting (SLO`s) to observe the health of the production system.
- Maximize value of tooling and leverage metrics for data driven insights and problem management.
- Gather and analyse metrics from various monitoring tools covering but not limited to operating systems, infrastructure and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding.
- Facilitate discussions (including technical discussions) to establish root causes and solutions to any infrastructure, application or process related issues.
- Conduct research to establish more efficient ways of performing day to day activities using new technologies or frameworks and identify opportunities for automation.
- Conduct trend analysis of data, both systematically and manually to determine common occurrences and recurring issues to feed into the Problem Management processes.
- Perform impact assessments to determine priority of a problem relative to other problems and business activities.
- Clear, concise and timely communication with emphasis on expressing technical issues in a non-technical manner to clients and executives.
- Drive infrastructure and application performance and availability initiatives.
- Produce and present regular reports on availability, capacity and service performance.
- Participation and facilitation of Incident Post-mortems.
- Build and integrate metric collectors such as Prometheus for required metrics.
- Drive the improvement of availability and performance using quality gates of the build pipeline
- Liaise with application development teams to improve services and customer experience.
Personal Attributes and Skills:
- Statistical analysis and reporting
- Problem solving
- Root Cause Analysis
- Business writing (reports) and presentation
- Stress Management
- Client orientation
- Relevant Tertiary qualification (Bachelors’ Degree in IT or Engineering)
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 or more years’ experience in a Software Engineering, DevOps Engineer, SRE or Architecture role
- APM and Infrastructure Monitoring Tool Experience (Prometheus, DynaTrace and Cloudwatch beneficial)
- Knowledge of Architecture Frameworks, Tools and Standards
- Experience in Application Performance Monitoring, JVM profiling and Prometheus
- Extensive experience managing complex and high-volume applications
- Experience optimizing database, infrastructure and application configurations
- Experience supporting microservices based applications on a Kubernetes platform
- Experience with AWS technologies and event driven architecture
- Experience with event driven orchestration
Kindly regard your application as unsuccessful if you have not heard from the agency within 2 weeks.