The Product Developer’s role includes both adults and kids apparel portfolios. You will be part of the entire development process from concept all the way through to shipment. You will need a comprehensive and holistic understanding of the design process involved within the fashion environment, apparel and image aesthetics, garment technology, trims and fabric sourcing, costings, fashion consumer spending, target markets, and the role of textiles and clothing within the global economy.
BELOW RESPONSIBILITIES PERTAIN TO MEN’S, LADIES, BOYS & GIRLS APPAREL:
1. Garment Technology:
- Manage a garment technologist.
- Run fit sessions.
- Reviewing and checking specs.
- Create specs.
- Measure & comment on all samples.
- Quality control.
2. Production Process:
- Manage the entire production process from tech pack stage to shipment samples.
- Create handover documents per supplier for new seasons inclusive of entire range.
- Hand over new seasons to suppliers inclusive of all tech packs & artwork files.
- Liaise with suppliers.
- Create production sample tracking list.
- Follow up on all samples with suppliers - 1st, 2nd, PPS, Bulk & Marketing.
- Measure, fit & comment on samples.
- Keep in close contact with shipping department to ensure if there are any production issues, they do not affect shipment.
3. Marketing Samples:
- Create marketing sample tracking list.
- Follow up on samples with suppliers.
- Update lists and alert marketing team.
4. Design Process:
- Manage a Designer. (Only for Men’s & Boys)
- Trend Research. (Only for Men’s & Boys but hand in hand with the Ladies & Girls department)
- Reviewing design concepts with designer. (Only for Men’s & Boys but hand in hand with the Ladies & Girls department)
- Building & rebuilding ranges. (Only for Men’s & Boys but hand in hand with the Ladies & Girls department)
- Selecting fabrics.
- Reviewing Cads.
- Reviewing and checking catalogues.
- Reviewing and checking tech packs.
- Reviewing and checking artwork files.
- Inserting costings from all suppliers into costings sheets.
- Negotiate costings with suppliers.
- Set RSP’s based on quality/ Brand placement within SA Retail market.
- Presenting ranges to internal management.
- Presenting ranges to key customers.
7. Quick to Market:
- Managing the Blank T-shirt Process
- Managing the Crop T-shirt Process.
- Implement new quick to market processes.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
- Strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Hard Working.
- Able to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Positive outlook.
- The ability to implement new processes.
- Team player.
- Solid knowledge of garment specifications, fabrics, fittings and patterns.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent communication skills. Be able to drive conversations with Suppliers, Buyers, Design and Development/Production.
- Proven ability to create strong factory and supplier relationships.
- Fully literate in Excel, Word & Power Point.
- Intermediate knowledge and understanding in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
LEADERSHIP & PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT
- Promote an environment that fosters the respect for the ideas of others and supports ongoing collaboration to execute business strategies.
- Leads by example and operates effectively in the face of continuous pressure imposed by the work environment.
- Drive the department forward through process improvement and best practices.
- Ability to see both creative and commercial requirements to ensure products drive towards solutions that balance.