Our client based in Johannesburg has a vacancy of Head: Asset Allocation. This is a permanent position, the incumbent will be reporting to the Head of Portfolio Management.
- Relevant graduate and postgraduate qualification or equivalent business degree or certificate (finance, economics, investment, CFA, etc)
- 7 + years’ experience in relevant industry
- Experience in derivative usage in portfolios is in advantage
- Strong foundation in finance theory and engagement with financial markets is required – knowledge of quantitative/risk factors is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills is required
- Technical background with strong analytical and quantitative skill
- Reading, writing, critical thinking, inquisitiveness, humility and honesty.
- Strong analytical skills
- Must be very detail-oriented, with an ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities
- Debate and the ability to foster constructive debate amongst others
- Commercial acumen
- Purposeful collaboration
- Possess a strong understanding of capital markets and have extensive investment experience with respect to multiple asset classes
- Possess a good understanding of stakeholder management
- Possess strong people management skills
- Understand strategy, structure and positioning
- Experience operating in a Multi management investments; investment consulting or similar environment is an advantage.
- Strong work ethic
- Problem solving - learning & skills development challenges
- Have a working knowledge of core functions of the business
- Demonstrate behavior that’s aligned to client’s culture and values
- Purposeful collaboration
- Building relationships
- Operational Excellence
- Risk-based investing
- Technical investment knowledge
- Negotiation skills
- Possess strong project managerial skills
- Collaboration culture
Key performance areas
- Contribute to the investment process and ensure Asset Allocation capability is in line with the process and philosophy of Investments
Collaboration with all areas of the Investment Team
- Regular distribution of analysis and insight that contributes meaningfully to the portfolio management process and portfolio positioning
- Regular communication with the portfolio management team to discuss topical and relevant issues relating to portfolio positions
Collaboration with other areas of the business Group
- Contribute to strategic discussion within the investment team on all aspects of the investment process (outside of just asset allocation input)
- Attend and contribute to investment team meetings
- Deliver asset allocation and investment strategy thought leadership, including new asset classes and investment classes
- Teach and guide macroeconomic and asset allocation understanding within the business.
Lead the asset allocation capability at Group Investments
- Maintain and continuously develop the Dynamic Asset Allocation framework in line with the philosophy and process of Investments.
- Generate internal shorter-term AA return assumptions
- Ensure a DAA process is documented and consistent
- Oversee the investment aspect of any asset allocation view in conjunction with the relevant portfolio manager (set mandate, liaise with admin, ensure marketing material changed, communication etc.
- Stay informed of developments in the market, understand the effect and impact on portfolios and propose action if necessary
- Ensure regular engagement with Mercer on their DAA views and circulate information when necessary.
- Research and present new asset class opportunities
- Partner with Portfolio managers to identify, measure and develop recommendation to manage asset allocation and risk exposures
- Monitor asset allocations of all solutions, identify emerging trends and risks to drive asset allocation decisions
- Evaluate risk/return considerations and articulate acceptable boundaries consistent with overall limit framework and risk appetite in product specific investment strategies
- Research best ideas/themes on asset allocation from both local and global perspective